Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, On my 69 SS-RS, w A/C, there is an orange wire that comes out of the bundle near the firewall on the passenger side. It has a round rubber boot with some sort of female spade connector in it. Long-ago the wire got fried in several spots from the exhaust manifold and it's been coiled up and hanging there ever since. It is long enough to reach up to and past the carb. Is this possibly supposed to attach to an electric choke or something? I took the original Q-jet off 30 years ago (I still have it somewhere) but don't remember a male connection. On the wiring schematic, the only orange wire I see says: "resistance wire"—whatever that is—going to the heater blower. I just need to identify it so I know what to do with it. I appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heater blower works as it is w/o it being plugged into anything. Is it for the high speed blower? Someone once told me there were two circuits with a separate one for the high speed fan. The high speed fan has never seemed to be too very fast.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Guys, I think you are right. That certainly looks like it's the original wire that's supposed to be going to the blower motor. Without looking in there yet:

A) The wire is fried and hanging loose, BUT the blower works, so someone apparently rewired something from somewhere…?

B) Does anyone know how/where is that original is wire supposed to be routed down to the blower motor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
On an A/C car that wire is suppossed to be cut and tape back inside the wire gutter above the distributor. The factory should have done it, as that wire is not used with the A/C system.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark. That would explain why it still works w/o it. Wonder why they didn't cut it off at the factory? If only it was this easy to find answers to all the questions of life...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts