Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE EVER HEARD OF A 69 WITH MISMATCHED INTERIOR FROM THE FACTORY?? A GUY I KNOW HAS A MATCHING NUMBERS R.S. Z/28 WITH BLACK DELUXE INTERIOR WITH THE EXCEPTION OF REAR SEAT AND REARSIDE PANELS ,HE SAID IT CAME THAT WAY BECAUSE OF A STRIKE AT G.M. WERE PARTS WEREN'T AVAILBLE . IT IS A LATE PRODUCTION CAR. I AM JUST CURIOUS IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS HEARD SOMETHING SIMULAR STEVE

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Would that be like ordering a Z28 but they substituted a 350 because they were out of 302s. I would think not!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Many years ago there was a 10-68 build Z/28 in town. The car had a fold-down rear seat. The LH rear side panel was standard; everything else was custom. It eventually received a frame-off, the owner was certain it had been built that way.

I doubt your example was, however. Were there a shortage of components to that extent it would not have been built or it would have had a different interior.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been a GM dealer for almost 20 years and yes new cars and trucks come in all the time with missing and wrong parts.In the late 90`s I recived a new Pontiac sunfire with dark gray front seats and light gray rear,many times we get GMC Sierra trucks with Silverado emblems and trim parts.Now days the normal thing is missing parts I guess because the line goes so fast and the workers dont have enough time to shoot the bull.

·
Registered
87 Posts
exactly why i bought a ford truck. i bought a z-28 new in 87,trans went after a couple of months,the mechanic at the dealer,s couldn,t believe it.the car came from the factory with a impala transmission.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
what's the difference between an Impala and an 87 Camaro tranny? maybe the torque converter was different, but otherwise i think they were the same. Hell, your Z28 probably also had an Impala engine in it, too.
on the line, any kind of assemply line, if they are short on a certain part, they use whatever they have that fits and is functionally the same. i know this because i have worked several factory jobs. GM isn't going to shut down an assembly line because they don't have the proper chrome widget when they have one that is pretty close to the same or better on hand. just doesn't make financial sense, and they are only in it for the money.
------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 02-03-2002).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XSCASH$$$$:
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE EVER HEARD OF A 69 WITH MISMATCHED INTERIOR FROM THE FACTORY?? A GUY I KNOW HAS A MATCHING NUMBERS R.S. Z/28 WITH BLACK DELUXE INTERIOR WITH THE EXCEPTION OF REAR SEAT AND REARSIDE PANELS ,HE SAID IT CAME THAT WAY BECAUSE OF A STRIKE AT G.M. WERE PARTS WEREN'T AVAILBLE . IT IS A LATE PRODUCTION CAR. I AM JUST CURIOUS IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS HEARD SOMETHING SIMULAR STEVE <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
87 Posts
i would think there would be a diffrence between a z-28 and impala tranny,i guess either will fit,but the z is stronger.he said that was why it only lasted 2 months.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
If you ask me an Impala trans would be stonger,bigger heavier car. Lower shift points for smoother operation and less stress on the trans.

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 02-05-2002).]

·
Registered
601 Posts
HEY!!! Figmandz302...
NO CHEVY BASHING on this site!!!!!
Maybe you should jump in your
Fix Or Repair Daily and get towed over to a Ford Website!!!!!

------------------
1969 RS/SS CAMARO
350 / 4 spd. Rallye Green

J

·
0 Posts
One of the most valuable lessons I have learned about researching these cars is that anything could have and usually did happen from the factory. The assemly line was not stoped if Joe Blow did not have the correct component for a car, they used whatever could be substituted for that part. We are finding cars everyday that break the rules. I know of one 69 Z/28 that has a 10 bolt rear end, The car is very original and very documented. You have to keep an open mind when researching these old cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts