Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirs... Hopefully someone can help me out on this. I have been looking for a 69 Camaro rosewood steering wheel. I found a wheel in a wrecking yard that is identical in appearance and dimensions to a 69 rosewood, except the color seems closer to walnut than rosewood. (The wheel is in the office, not in a car, and it is the correct shallow offset) Did any other MFG's such as Buick, Pontiac, or even other model/year GM cars use a steering wheel that fits this description?? Or can a rosewood turn colors over the years and appear closer to walnut?? This wheel is for sure plastic simulated wood and the aluminum spokes are correct. The price on this wheel is very reasonable but I am hesitant to buy due to the dark color. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just checked the "Rick's/First Generation" catalog and it shows the walnut wheel for the 67 & 68 Camaro and the rosewood wheel for the 69. I've also heard that the very early 69's also had the walnut wheel, just something I heard. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
There were some Rosewood sized wheels made that are Walnut. They were early and I believe they were on Both Camaro's and Chevelles. It is worth buying. A NOS Rosewood looks alot darker than most Rosewoods you see. They get redder and lighter as they age.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The '69 N34 wheel through about mid-Nov '68 had a walnut finish. At that time it was changed to the rosewood, probably to better match the other faux woodgrain used.

I had both NOS about 22 years ago. New wheels had a very dull finish which I believe was painted, not molded. Grinding marks from a trimmimg operation were visible but the finish was undisturbed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the prompt info on the wood steering wheel. I got the wheel this morning. I guess the wheel may be technically too early vintage to be correct for my Feb 69 built car, but good deals are too few and far between to pass on it!! Again... Thanks!!

J

·
0 Posts
I have four 69 Camaros all with original rosewoods and all of them are a different shade and different grain. Jeremiah.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts