Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to purchase a 69 x11 car that is claimed to be an ss. from what I have read from this site and others it cannot be an ss. The guy told that the pictures he took could have been from an engine compartment of another car. (no brake booster) he still claims it is an SS. What should that knock off the price? I just don't feel too good about this thing any more.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
x-11 69 camaro

I am looking at a x11 ss car. A friend already posted the cowl tag and VIN number and thanks to you guys I know it was at least born with a 350. I have another friend that pointed out it does not have a brake booster proving that it probably isn't an ss. I called the dealer and he assured me it was an ss. After I spoke with him the pictures of the car dissappeared from the site. I am still going to look at the car asI have already made a deposit on it. What else can I look for for signs that is not? Some say it would have a 12 bolt rear end and dual fuel lines. Others say it could be a 10 bolt and a 3/8 line. I'm just don't feel good about this anymore

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
Re: x-11 69 camaro

neither the cowl tag or VIN will confirm a 350 to start with. Unless it has other X codes on the cowl tag, you wont know which engine it has. The VIN will tell you if its a V8 but not which one. Could be a 327, 350 etc... you really need to get photos of the cowl tag to confirm its originality to begin with. x11 does NOT mean its an SS. Thats a common misconception. SS did have to have power front disc brakes so there should be a booster. Dual fuel lines MIGHT be an SS but that might also indicate an LM1 which is NOT an SS. Dont buy till you get time to check back with photos and a chance to look for partial VIN under the cowl vent.

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
lets stick to one post per topic please. I sense you are nervous but DONT buy till you learn more about the car. If the dealer is pushing you, back away.

·
Registered
197 Posts
"The guy told that the pictures he took could have been from an engine compartment of another car."

Or they could be pictures he took from someone elses ad. Lots of scams out there.

"I just don't feel too good about this thing any more."

There's a lot to be said for gut feelings.

Ask him to take a picture of something very specific today and send it to you. If he's legit should be no problem getting you pics.

Better yet, if you can go see it in person.

If it's a dealer maybe, someone here has dealt with them: you could ask for comments or PM's from anyone that has dealt with them personally.

Didn't know you had multiple posts going:

For those that may come across this one first: It is a dealer, he's already put down a deposit and is scheduling a trip.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about the mutiple post. I wasn't sure that it went through as my computer gave me a blank screen. I called and backed out of it. Heres to hoping I get my deposit back soon. thanks for all your help and sorry again for the mutiple posts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good luck getting your deposit back stovedup. You may want to look in the classified section here on the site,just might find something your looking for. Oh by the way welcome to team camaro:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
It's best to look at a car in person, especially if you are suspicious about the car. If the guy is saying that the car is an SS and he doesn't have anything to back it up, I would just walk away. Perhaps the guy doesn't know himself what he has or he might indeed be trying to scam you. You did the right thing by walking away from this one. Good luck on getting your deposit back. BTW, Welcome to the Team! :waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts