Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it goes. I have officially start to refurbish a 1969 X-55 that I have had for a couple of years now. This will be my first run at a full resto. I have built a jig (from pictures and build instructions off of this sight, thanks for that info). It is a basket case, but a promise to a friend who has since passed away has put me on this path. I will post pictures when I figure out how to. I have 2 1969 RS/SS 396 cars as samples to help. Sorry this is so long but I am new to this and will have alot of questions from all of you guru's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay figured out how to get pictures up. iI will post the pictures of the things (many) that need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Floyd, looks like you've made a great start on another stablemate to that fantastic pair of big blocks :thumbsup:
Can see a bit of rust on the upper dash top, but the car looks solid; or is there rust lurking elsewhere?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not say it is lurking, it has consumed is more accurate. This will test my patients I am sure. It will be long and I hope fun. I will post pictures of all the rust damage, hopefully today.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Welcome to the site, Floyd. Looks like you've got some nice cars there.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Cool project, and what a shop!! :yes: There are tons of great people on this site who will help out with any questions you ask. When I started on mine, I had no idea what it was that I was doing. But, after following a few builds and reading everything I could, I found it wasn't all that bad. You will really appreciate the sense of accomplishment with each step you take towards the final product. Have fun! :beers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt, I have been following your build with great interest for awhile. Since we are both from Mich. maybe we will run into each other one day. I will have alot of questions no doubt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my biggest question is where to start. The rear frame rails are toast, so I am worried about the stability on the jig. I am going to get parts from NPD tommorrow. Should I work on the frame and trunk first, rockers, or cowl area?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Matt, I have been following your build with great interest for awhile. Since we are both from Mich. maybe we will run into each other one day. I will have alot of questions no doubt.
I hope it has been helpful! Would be great to run into you someday...maybe a car show in the future. You have 2 great examples already that have to be a blast to drive.

I guess my biggest question is where to start. The rear frame rails are toast, so I am worried about the stability on the jig. I am going to get parts from NPD tommorrow. Should I work on the frame and trunk first, rockers, or cowl area?
I tried to just break it down into small projects instead of trying to bite the whole thing off at once. I have found that taking that first small step will lead to an obvious next step. That has just been my experience.

I think if you start by getting it on the jig you will get a feel for where you should start and what (if any) additional bracing needs to be installed before you start cutting. My rockers were really solid (lucky) but the car really is built around the rockers. Having those in the right place and solid is critical, and it seems that is where most of the guys doing major rebuilds start at. Again I am no expert; these are just suggestions.

Oh also; If you're referring to the NPD in Canton I have been there and they are great to deal with. I called ahead and they pulled all the parts for me before I got there. We inspected them for damage in the showroom and then I left. I might have been there for a total of 20 minutes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
original color was hugger orange. It was raced for a Chevy dealership here in Michigan and was painted to match the Corvette they were racing at the time (would like to have that car also, but no dice). Not sure if it will go back to hugger orange or back to the burgundy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was drag raced. Either the dealership or a race team put a proto type dz302 race heads and dual qual package on the original block. Looks nice but I am gonna try to get it back under the hood when I get there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any reasons why i cannot remove the body sealer and then sandblast to find the extent of the damage? my cowl area has very little rust.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Excellent start and great tribute to your friend that passed Floyd.

Is this a factory restoration project?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts