Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats: I'm doing mine at this time. It's heading to the body shop tommorrow. X66D80 Cortez Silver but it's mine and not the wife's. Thought I will let her drive it. LOL)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
floors are done. woohoo!

car has original tunnel, rear pans, and toe panels. the rest was taken from a donor car

suspension is 99% done. just trying to figure out an issue with the rear shocks.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
with the cold weather(*60-*70:D) i parked the boat and started back on the camaro.

rear window channel was pretty nasty. cut out the rust and scabbed in new pieces.
What did you do about the rot holes through the bottom channel of the roof skin? I see one right under the pin. Did you sandblast before the repair?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
the car was blasted about 4 years ago then put in primer. i was able to cut and grind any remaining rust then weld in new pieces. i ended up pretty much replacing the entire horizontal section. the upper section only had two bad sections which is what is cut out in the pics.
the sub skin was in good shape so i drilled holes in the new pieces and welded then smoothed so it is similar to a factory pinch weld.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lucky wife! Also working on a 69 myself for myself. Wife is wanting a 67 so Im really looking forward to getting mine done so I can work on hers! Scared hers will turn out better than mine lol Keep up the good work! looking good.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I discovered an issue with the right rear 1/4. the stampings for the bumper bolt and marker light were stamped to close to the rear.

I cut the marker stamping out and moved it forward to it's proper location. the bumper bolt hole just got wallered out a bit....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Back at it with the cooler weather being here and boating not being a priority....

Cut out the heater core opening and test fit a filler piece. My plans are to fill holes and smooth most of the fire wall. I'm running aftermarket heat/air and plan on hiding as much of it as I can.

cut out some rust and made up some patches for the driver door also. I used eastwoods rust encapsulater inside the door skin then welded in patches

Still need to tackle the rocker panels and that should just about cover all the rust.:hurray:

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
It's best to cut beyond the visible rust, especially on a door and including the hem. Just cut the entire skin corner off and fab a new one. A larger repair is usually better than a smaller one. The corrosion between those panels may come back to haunt you. The corners and the sandwiched metal is notorious for bubbling.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
was able to get down to the shop for a few hours today.

Put some filler over the firewall patch panel.

cut out some rust in the rocker and welded in new metal.

That is the last of the rust in this car:hurray::hurray:

21 - 40 of 70 Posts