Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on the 69 Z-10 camaro's? What motors were used,what trans. were used, interiors, colors? Were they coupes, pace cars or what? Any info. would be greatly appreiciated. Thank you, Jimbird

·
Registered
871 Posts
The Z10 was a coupe version Pace Car replica.
All 200-300 made were SS/RS, Dover White with Hugger Orange 'Z' stripes. Some had vinyl tops and the interior colors varied, but I read that NONE had the orange houndstooth like all of the Z11. Here is a web page that gives some good info : http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/camaros_fs.htm

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The Z10 was not a coupe version of the Pace Car replicas. It had nothing to do with the Indy 500, or the Pace car promotion. The pace car coupe name is someting the car has aquired over the years since it was similar looking to the pace car replicas. They were essentially a promotional fleet order for the Southwestern US states, as these delaers felt they did not recieve a proportional share of the actual pacecars. They are essentially white RS/SS coupes with Orange Z28 stripes, and as such could be equipped with L48's, L34's, L35's, L78's or L89 engines, either a TH350 or 400 automatic transmission or a 4 speed transmission, and a 12 bolt rear axle. Maybe there is a couple with an L48, a powerglide and 10 bolt rear axle. Other than the ZL2 hood and Rally Sport package, there were no other mandatory options in the Z10. Interior could be any color, except orange, and could be either standard or deluxe.

I really don't know why they complained all that much as most pacecars were hard to sell even in 1969 the color scheme was a bit much for the general public. A few didn't clear the dealers lots until 1970.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
This is straight from Camaros.org, I believe they are still considered real Pace Cars, although some people would beg to differ. At a minimum, all '69 Pace Car Replicas should have the following:

Body Style 12467 or 12437
Z11 or Z10 Code (Norwood Cars)
Dover White Paint Code (50)
White Convertible Top Code (A)
Interior Trim Orange houndstooth (720)
A build date between 02D and 05A
SS Equipment
RS Equipment
Style Trim Group
Handpainted Hugger Orange RS stripes over the wheel openings
Hugger Orange stripes (Z/28 Style)
Special Ducted Hood
Rocker panels painted white instead of black
The rear panel remained white on 396 cars instead of black

Here's a nice one for sale on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1805255530

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/

North Texas Camaro Club

Hobbystage Free Picture Posting!!! http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396/

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
That list only applies to the Z11's. The Z10's shouldn't be there.

All Z10's were made between 04C and 05A. None of the Z10s came with 720 coded Deluxe Orange Houndstooth interior, or a white convertible top. Obviously the Z11s were coded as 12467, and all of the Z10's were coded as 12437.

All were RS/SS's with the Z28 and D96 stripes, and ZL2 hoods.

None of the Z10's were at the Indy 500, most were probably just being delivered to the dealers when the race was occuring.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
G

·
Marc C You are a very knowledgable Camaro enthusiast but you cannot honestly say the Z10 was in no way involved with the indy program, you also cannot say there were no 720 code interior Z10s. Through my research I am convinced that the 1st built Z10 was the first to wear the Indy door decals. I know that info conflicts with every book ever written on pace cars. I am in the process of trying to buy this car. It was built before any of the indy conv cars, it has several options that never made production. Like aluminum front fender wells, radiator, a multi stage kickdown trans. The car was built at what was called the Hobby Shop where the actual pace cars were assembled afterward. The car does have original GM paperwork stating the car was not for public sale. The car is a very low milliage original unrestored car. I have also been in contact with a person who owned a factory JL8 Z10 with a dealer installed Turbo. There is suposedly at least one Z10 with the Code 720 interior. I just sold the one owner unrestored Z10 that fueled my intrest in these cars. By the way that car was sold new with the door decals. Yes I know they were not installed from the factory, nor were they on the convertibles. Fact is these cars are more than just RS/SS cars with an appearance package. You can bet as soon as the car is in my posession you will hear about it.

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 02-14-2002).]

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Always looking to find documentation on limited production cars. Send anything you have my way and I'll gladly admit that all the current information available on these cars is wrong. Till that happens, I'll keep believing the current available data.

As far as the Z10 being prepped to be a pace car for the indy 500, you just have to look at all the previous pace cars up to 69 to see they were all convertibles. I don't know if this is, or was a requirement from the track. (Can't be a requirment anymore because there have been coupes, and SUV's (ARRRGH) used as pace cars since then) Pacecars were always driven by previous winners, or celebrities and the whole idea of that was to have them visible to the crowd. The use of a coupe would have preclude this.

Maybe GM made both a coupe and convertible prototype back in late January 69 and submitted them to the track for approval. As history shows, the track obviously selected the convertible.

There are several pictures of a Z11 on a dias with executives (or at least suit wearers) milling around it. It has a rear mounted antenna, and 396 emblem on one front fender, no emblem on the other and the black Z21 rocker panel paint. This car is a non functional styling vehicle used to show off the pace car for 69. There may have been a similar Z10 somewhere. After the convertible was selected GM had a (one) coupe that they had no use for, who knows what they may have done to it subsequently.

I'm sure there were tons of cars made as prototypes where various equipment was tried out throughout the years. I don't think that comparing a prototype (engineering mule, call it whatever) to production car can ever prove anything related to the production cars.

JL8s were an available option on anything from a 6 cylinder coupe all the way up to ZL1's, so it would not suprise me someone ordered a Z10 (or Z11's, I know of at least 2 L89 Z11's besides the original 2 that have JL8 axles), although since it was heavily modified by a dealer after delivery I would certainly like to see factory paperwork associated with that car.

True non of the Z11's came from the factory with the decals installed, they were shipped in a tube in the trunk. Probably 90% of the delivered cars never had the decals installed, and I'm sure the dealers kept all (most)of the decals that didn't get installed, and placed them in their storerooms. If the original owner of that Z10liked the look, and asked the dealer to put some on his car, I'm sure they had them in stock, and for a modest fee would have been all to happy to install them.

Don't get me wrong, the Z10's are a very limited production unique car with it's own trim code that is much rarer than a Z11, or Z28 or just about any other limited production vehicle other than the ZL1's and are desireable cars. But it is just an appearance package on an RS/SS, same as the Z11's.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Jerimeh, did you ever get over to see that guy's Z10 car? If so, I'd like to see the #'s. Any pictures?

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 2/2/02)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The Z11 option is described on factory documentation as "Indy 500 pace car accents"

The Z10 option is described on factory documentation as "Special accent striping"

They are SS-RS coupes with different stripes and had no involvement with the Indy 500 promotion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts