Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a beutiful '69 Z/28. Love the car, but would like to add Power
Steering. A few questions for the experts:

Was this an option for the Z and if so, under what circumstances?

If it was an option, is there a designation anywhere on the car that shows
this?

Is it expensive and/or difficult to install?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes power steering was an option for your 1969 Z/28.I sure you would order it as any other option would have been.There is nothing on the car like a code or anything that would tell you that.Remember that Z/28 had its own steering box just for that car called a quick ratio.Power steering is easy to install and could be done in a few hours but you must change a few things like add brackets and a lower pulley power steering box and pump and both the pressure and the return line.I would think hars about adding it to a number matching survivor but for a nice driver it would be a must for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. This car just needs a little rust repair and a nice paint job. The previous owner invested considerable time and money on the drivetrain, suspension, exhaust, etc. Almost everything is new.

Not a numbers matching car, but it does have a DZ302, M21 and 12 bolt. Once cleaned up, it'll make a great weekend driver and one that I can be proud of at the local muscle car gathering.

Your right, the the power steering is a must. There's a kit on Ebay right now that I'm considering. Your counsel on whether or not its the right one for my car is appreciated. It's listing #467698822. Cheers!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I LOOKED AT THE ONE ON EBAY AND IT SURE LOOKS COMPLETE.THE ONLY DIFFRENCE I SEE IS IT DOSENT HAVE THE CLOSERATIO STEERING BOX OTHER WORDS IT TAKES MORE TURNS ON THE STEERING WHEEL TO GO AROUNG THE CORNER.BUT WHO REALLY CARES ON A NICE DRIVER SO YOU HAVE TO TURN MORE TO GO AROUND THE CORNERS AT CRUISE NIGHT AND IT WILL SURE MAKE IT EASYER TO GET IT IN THE PARKING SPOT.YOU KNOW IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO DO A NUT AND BOLT CORRECT FRAME OFF RESTORE YOU CAN REMOVE THE POWER STEERING AND PROBABLY DOUBLE YOUR MONEY.IM NO EXPERT BUT THE EBAY UNIT LOOKS FINE JUST CHECK THE GUYES FEEDBACK BEFORE YOU BID.GOODLUCK.........................

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you're not worried about the total originality look, there's a rack and pinion kit by Steeroids for about $900. You'd still need a pump and brackets. There's an article in the new Chevy High Performance. It looks pretty interesting. Just throwing out some more options.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rafael, This is my experience, not stating it as the gospel. All '69 Camaro's w/ power steering came with the same steering box (cast no. ends in 676). They were all variable ratio and the difference between Z/28's fast ratio (2 1/2 turns lock to lock)and standard ratio (3 1/2 turns) came from the pitman arm length. The Z/28 arm is longer. Just buy the correct longer fast ratio pitman from Rick's 1st Generation or another parts supplier. This is my experience from having 2 factory PS cars that weren't Z/28's and having 2 factory PS Z/28's.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Hood.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would call Lares corporation. http://www.larescorp.com/
1-800-555-0676 I bought a quick ratio 2 1/2 turns lock to lock (actually it is 2.6) power steering pump from them and it works great. I put it on my SS. Be sure you have them send you the right PITTMAN arm to work with it because PITTMAN arm that works for the manual steering is different than the ones that work for the power steering boxes.

Now let's talk about the PROPER way to get a quick ratio power steering set up. The gearing inside a quick ratio steering box is DIFFERENT (it is quicker) than the gearing inside a non-quick ratio steering box. Now YOU CAN change to a shorter pittman arm on a standard steering box and it will in effect make it a quick ratio setup HOWEVER if you do it this way you will lose some of your turning radius.

So in a nutshell, a quick ratio pump is definitely DIFFERENT internally than a non-quick ratio pump. You would use the same PITTMAN arm on a standard power steering pump as you would on a quick ratio power steering pump.

I confirmed all of this with the TECH at Lares corporation and he should know cause he builds them!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 10-18-2000).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
sr71bb, It is a LONGER pitman arm that gives you quicker ratio, not shorter as you incorrectly stated. Putting a longer quick ratio pitman arm does not decrease your turning radius. And yes, a quick ratio box is different, but I was talking about what came stock in 1969. I am also curious as stated near the end of your post, how do you get a pitman arm on a power steering PUMP? And what is a quick ratio and a standard ratio PUMP? All power steering GEAR BOXES in '69 were variable ratio. In conclusion I agree that a newer quick ratio box is a good choice for Rafael as well.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Hood.

·
Super Moderator
33,190 Posts
If one changes Pitman arm, Idler arm should also be changed. The reason I suggest this is looking down onto the subframe with front suspension attached, there is a trapizoid between the front lower ball joints, steering arms, tie rods, and center link. If one arm is shorter(longer) than other, then its going to have a different arc, the center link will not be parallel to the imaginary line drawn between the lower ball joints. Thus, SAI will be all screwed up.

Everett/'68/11.90/350/PG

·
Registered
523 Posts
DWCAMARO69, Yea you're right. I had a brain fart on that one (long vs. short PITTMAN arm). That makes sense too because of the turning radius thing. I also had a brain fart on the PITTMAN arm attachment and the quick pump thing. Damn, three mistakes in one post!!!

THANK GOD we can watch each other, so no one gets hurt!!!

Oh well, I had a temporary case of the dumass!!! Bottom line though is that the power steering gearbox IS different internally on the Quick Ratio. WARNING!!! If you are used to the normal power steering box, then be careful the first time you use the quick ratio because you will be turning it into a curb or cutting corners if you don't get used to it first (the quicker ratio that is)!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 10-18-2000).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rafael,
Cutting thru the upper post, it is very simple to add power steering to your car, any First Gen Camaro or Nova from 68-74 or early second gen Camaro (need to turn pitman 180 on 2nd gen)You need a donor car so you can take the steering box and pump set up (brackets as well as crank pulley) will work, make sure that you use the Pitman arm from the power steering box and not the manual box as they are different. Then unbolt your steering box and and pitman arm and replace with power steering box and mount pump to block and then run hose's from box to pump. it is great to have power steering vs non power, you will very much enjoy it.
JC

------------------
1969 RS Z28 Black, white deluxe interior, http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/corvettj

[This message has been edited by JC69RSZ28 (edited 10-18-2000).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
((((( WOW )))) WHAT ABOUT JUST BUYING THE SETUP ON EBAY AND PUTTING IT ON.LOOKS LIKE A SIMPLE JOB TO ME.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the counsel. Its a pleasure to be associated with a group of knowledgeable First Gen enthusiasts.

I bid on the one on Ebay but wasn't able to get to a computer in time this evening to up the bid. You snooze, you lose, right!?

I'll start another hunt. Seems like the price for this set up can vary widely. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Raphael, If you're interested I have a PS box that came out of a 69 Nova and a pump & hoses from a 77 Camaro SB. It's not close ratio and doesn't have a pitman arm. If interested email me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts