Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Z/28 back from having it restored and I am having trouble with the amp and temp gauges. The lights are not working on these but the bulbs are good. Also when I turn on the headlights, the temp gauge swings full right and stays there until I turn the lights off. I have tried to remove the cluster to check the wiring but I am haveing trouble and I don't want to break anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I would guess a bad ground is causing your problems. The temp gage should have 12V in and grounds at the sensor in the head.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I agree,

there should be a ground under the console.is it connected?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary

Thank you for the reply. Can you offer any info on removing the cluster so I can check the wiring? I noticed that you have a Lemans Blue / Ivory Camaro, I looked at the picture, good looking car. This Z/28 is a Lemans Blue / Ivory Interior and White Vinyl Top.

Thank you

Chris

·
Registered
995 Posts
Remove the shift plate (4 screws)
Remove the lense panel covering the gauges (2 screws)
Reach under the console thru the shifter area, there are 2 screws,5/16 heads (I think). Remove them. The picture shows the screws

After removing the rear screws, slide the gauges rearward, lifting at the back.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I will try to get it fixed this weekend. I have been working in this car for two years and have a few little things to complete. I can't wait to drive it to a few shows and have some fun with it.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gary,
The cluster came out fine and I found that the ground wire from the tunnel bracket runs to a bottom post under the fuel gauge. I connected a temperary wire to the tunnel bracket and then to the housing of the temp gauge and the amp meter and the console lights to the rear gauges worked fine. Should I run a permanent wire to the housing or to one of the four terminals on the temp gauge? Thank you Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remove the shift plate (4 screws)
Remove the lense panel covering the gauges (2 screws)
Reach under the console thru the shifter area, there are 2 screws,5/16 heads (I think). Remove them. The picture shows the screws

After removing the rear screws, slide the gauges rearward, lifting at the back.
Thank you, it worked fine. Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts