Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research, is the tri y headers the only header that will allow the use of the factory reverse linkage in a 69 camaro?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I didn't know that Thorleys had that option. I removed my lock out reverse rod 40 years ago. I did rig up a push button back up lamp switch on my shifter body though.

I had Thorley 376Y1C just recently, good torque header. I went with Dougs now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the stock linkage has to be modified to work with the tri ys but it has been done. I'm just curious if anyone figured a way to make the reverse linkage work with a conventional 4 to 1 header.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
On a side note,
Don
Did you feel that the tri y headers choked your motor in the higher Revs?
No, I did not notice any restrictions , I did uncork and put on a mustang dyno, motor pulled up to 6138 rpm before leveling off. Forth gear pull with 3.73 gear recorded something like rear wheel hp of 373 at 6138 rpm, . This was with the older set of AFR heads. I have not run the dyno since going to the AFR street eliminator 195 heads with 8mm valves and dual springs. All of this was on a hydraulic roller. I am now running a forged 383 and a 750 holley with Vsecondaries.
The car ran better or screamed better with my 850HP Holley but mpg is in the sewer. I built this motor for the street and powertours. I enjoy 23 mpg at 70-75mph at 2350+- rpm running a TKO 600.
The triY's actually help bottom end torque, don't misjudge them. Like I said, this is not a race car but a decent street cruiser but it will still scream. I find myself many times not using second gear as I just don't need the pull or acceleration. Guess that's part of getting old.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
I can't even begin to tell you what brand headers were on my Z when I bought it, but there was no reverse rod at that time. I bought a reverse rod thru Rick's in 2000, installed it and worked fine with no interference. Here is a pic that closely resembles what was installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Thanks Don,
I still have my original 302 in my car is why I asked & we all know that motor wants to be spun high.
When selecting your headers, I feel a person needs to determine what are you going to do with this motor, I know 302 can be spun high but is it needed? Yes the 302 makes hp with the right equiptment and to do so you are talking about high compression, huge ported heads, big valve springs like 1.625" , titanium valvetrain , a huge cam , roller lifters, and massive fuel induction as well as header tube size 1.875" or larger.
Then you are looking at rear end like 6.14 and decent tires and suspension to make the car fly. I have done this with a 301 ( oversize 283) , the 302 over bored into my 55 modified production car.
Yes the motor will rev but do you use that combo for the street cruiser? Is there enough side street to do this in front of the public or is it safe? Not trying to kill your dream but its asking , are your doing what your motor wants or what you want.
Just trying to put it all in prespective.
I started out with 1.625 Hookers for the street trim, as torque is what the motor needed.
Just my 2¢ and I don't condone any type of street racing.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I can't even begin to tell you what brand headers were on my Z when I bought it, but there was no reverse rod at that time. I bought a reverse rod thru Rick's in 2000, installed it and worked fine with no interference. Here is a pic that closely resembles what was installed.
Hey Gary I am looking for a reverse linkage to fit my car with headers as well. Also would like to have my reverse lights working while at it. My understanding is that the reverse linkage acts as the reverse lock out and back up light activator. I think one rod connects to the steering column which is where the reverse light switch is located.

I have Hooker Super Competition Headers. Do you recall the part that you ordered. I would like to get the same set up.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I've copied this reply in from my earlier response to a header fitment question:

I recently installed a set of Dynatech headers in my'69 SBC. They clear the 800 series PS box without any "massaging", but it's close. They are 1 5/8 x 1 3/4 stepped and ceramic coated. The ball & socket connectors are fantastic, automatically adjust for minor fitment issues. Mine connect to a 2 1/2 Flowmaster system. The number is 740-11210 and I got them from Summit. They also tuck up very tight and out of the way. I'd buy them again without question.

I know that this doesn't directly answer your question about the factory reverse linkage (mine is gone), but Dynatech actually made headers to fit a Camaro with PS. Apparently other manufacturers did not expect anyone to have PS. They should ship a hammer with each set to fix the problem for their headers. If Dynatech designed its headers for the PS fitment, then perhaps they've also designed them to accomodate the reverse linkage too. Give them a call.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Hey Gary I am looking for a reverse linkage to fit my car with headers as well. Also would like to have my reverse lights working while at it. My understanding is that the reverse linkage acts as the reverse lock out and back up light activator. I think one rod connects to the steering column which is where the reverse light switch is located.

I have Hooker Super Competition Headers. Do you recall the part that you ordered. I would like to get the same set up.

Thanks
Mike, don't want to hijack the thread here but a while back , someone posted pictures how they welded up some rods to work the bellcrank and around the headers. Can't recall who it was but that's what he did . Wasn't pretty but you could not see it from outside the hood.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When selecting your headers, I feel a person needs to determine what are you going to do with this motor, I know 302 can be spun high but is it needed? Yes the 302 makes hp with the right equiptment and to do so you are talking about high compression, huge ported heads, big valve springs like 1.625" , titanium valvetrain , a huge cam , roller lifters, and massive fuel induction as well as header tube size 1.875" or larger.
Then you are looking at rear end like 6.14 and decent tires and suspension to make the car fly. I have done this with a 301 ( oversize 283) , the 302 over bored into my 55 modified production car.
Yes the motor will rev but do you use that combo for the street cruiser? Is there enough side street to do this in front of the public or is it safe? Not trying to kill your dream but its asking , are your doing what your motor wants or what you want.
Just trying to put it all in prespective.
I started out with 1.625 Hookers for the street trim, as torque is what the motor needed.
Just my 2¢ and I don't condone any type of street racing.
Good points

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are also multiple new headers from Hooker that have just been released for this application also. They have great clearance around the power steering box, come in 1-5/8", 1-3/4" and 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped tube versions and are available with stock port or D-port flanges. If you can post up a picture of your back-drive linkage where it lays in relation to the firewall I can tell you if they will be compatible with it or not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Todd, is the bell crank setup installed in the car you posted a picture of? I notice the steering column lever is not hooked up.
These are nice looking headers, I like the thicker mounting plates. Historically the Hooker 2451 hung down too far on the driver side. Maybe they fixed that .

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
Mike, don't want to hijack the thread here but a while back , someone posted pictures how they welded up some rods to work the bellcrank and around the headers. Can't recall who it was but that's what he did . Wasn't pretty but you could not see it from outside the hood.
Thanks Don I am going to try to find that thread. I would like to do the same.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Todd, is the bell crank setup installed in the car you posted a picture of? I notice the steering column lever is not hooked up.
These are nice looking headers, I like the thicker mounting plates. Historically the Hooker 2451 hung down too far on the driver side. Maybe they fixed that .
Yes, the bell crank/Z-bar is installed on the vehicle shown in the image and it functions nicely with these new headers.

Good eye in noticing the thicker flanges (3/8"), they are one of the new features designed into these new headers that serve to differentiate them from older legacy applications such as the 2451 headers. The flanges are laser cut and TIG welded flat, which means the standard raised weld bead method of port finishing/sealing is not incorporated here.

Some other new features that may interest you are the inclusion of O2 bungs on the collectors and fitment compatibility with the stock A/C evaporator case and the Ride Tech Tru Turn steering package. As these headers were designed using CAD software, the header collector heights are dead even and tucked tight to the floor. PM me if you want further info and I'll be glad to help out with that.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts