Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently removed the air shocks from the rear of my 69 Z and installed KYB gas adust shocks. The front end has stock suspension and now the rear is apporoximately 1 inch lower than the front, measuring 24 inches from the ground to the center of the rear wheel well. I have 15 x 7 Rally wheels all around and 225 x 60 x 15 tires on all four wheels. My question is, does anyone know what the stock ride height of a 69 Z was, measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel well? Also, to increase the height of the rear end, should I go to a 5 leaf spring rather than my current 4 leaf set up? Thanks, David.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Imho, a stock car should have the same tire sidewall height showing front to rear so go from there..

And I have to add, please do whatever you want to b/c I think you will find that what you are asking get's into the realm of a personal preference concerning a car's "stance"...

Front to rear...

Most of us run big-n-littles and it gets into this preferred "stance" thing real fast.

pdq67

PS., it may be as simple as just adding a 1" thick plate between your springs and the shock plates to gain 1" up..

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I am not nagging dajlaw but quite a few of the questions I see on this and other sites can be answered by having a 67/68/69 Assembly Instruction Manual. These have been available for around 25 years.

The answer to this question is in section 0 page A10: Z/28 has its own Trim Height.

For the front the measurement is taken 33" from the wheel centerline, rocker to ground and is 9.22" [shipped] 9.13" [curb] + - .38".

For the rear the measurement is taken 20" from the centerline of the axle rocker to ground and is 9.12" [shipped] 8.75" [curb] + - .38". Curb means full fuel tank.

Getting a restored 1st Gen to sit level at the correct trim height will keep you busy.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Wiliam,

That's why I said what I did..

And thanks for mentioning the GM Service Manual, b/c I generally forget ALL about it..

pdq67

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Not the GM service manual; the assembly instruction manual used to final-assemble the cars. It was never marketed by GM; someone had gotten them out of an assembly plant and made copies.

The REAL coup would be to find the Camaro Fisher Body Assembly Manuals. I have seen a page or two but thats it. Fisher must have had far better document control than Chevy did; in all my years of this I have never heard of a complete copy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts