Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My6 69 z-28 is a late november (4th week) 68 build date, vin has x33d80(BIG TAG), but has a cowl hood the owner sez was on the car from the factory. By the way it has all of the original cowl stuff. McNeish's book states this is not possible due to the december memo (issued 4th week Nov) not reaching production line until Mid December. Could this have been installed by the dealer? By the way I bought the car in just a little over one million pieces and have it back to running condition now. I have never seen a car this apart in my life, but it is all there!!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The ZL2 special ducted hood was not available for a dealer to order until early December 1968. A car built 11D would have been ordered early October '68, well before dealers knew the option existed. I added functional ZL2 to my last Z/28 and there was no way to detect that it had been a retrofit.

You have other problems. There is no way a '69 Z/28 built in November '68 would have an X33D80 body tag.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I've got to agree with William, there is no way a car with that build date would hae come with a cowl hood originally. Everything is available to add on and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Almost everyone has added them to the early z cars, even though they are not correct. The previous owner probably really believes that it was original, because a lot of people falsely believe it was part of the RPO.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Please post the Cowl/Trim Tag #s and/or the VIN. The NOR trim tag number came be matched against the VIN to see if they match. The large trim tag with the X codes look to me to be a possible Nov 69 assembly date. We need the VIN or the Trim Tag #s to be sure.

Post this in the Tag Team Forum. All of the decoding is done there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Im guessing it must actually be a nov. 69 build and the vin sequencial number would have to be 124379n72xxxx or close to that

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks William for the heads up on the tag. I have been told that The larger tags were installed Mid Nov 68 (N553571)which is right after (by 1000 units or so)when Norwood changed from the small tags. Is it impossible for the x33 to appear on the tag?

HELP!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What do you mean by larger? The early tags were wider but not as tall as the late style.Give us a measurement of what you have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ummgawa, did I meet you over in Douglasville last summer on the way to the cruise-in? You have a black '69 Z/28 that you just got running. You are running the off-road cam, I think? Nice to see you made it to Team Camaro! Check out my sig for pics of my car...

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331216&a=9901695&p=33013081

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the correction William I was guessing as stated because mine (10D) is N702853.I was not aware that mine was from the last 2 weeks of production though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frankk

I'm talking about the 3 1/2 inch by 2 1/8 inch vs 3 15/16 wide by 1 3/4 inch tall. f course theres the one in my garage that is the size of a liscense plate...special issue off of the 69 z-28 convertible with air and 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The larger style tag entered production about 11C. The X codes begin around 12B. D80 wasn't used for quite a while.

X33 by itself would be a stretch. The tag is questionable. What is NOR# ?

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
I agree in principle with Bill, this shouldn't have an X-code on it. But the fact is we've seen other Nov. cars with X codes. Not sure what to make of this mini-trend.

Could you post the rest of your cowl tag and/or send me a picture of it?

Does your car have the original drivetrain?

Thanks! [email protected]

------------------
Kurt S.
CRG www.camaros.org

1 - 14 of 14 Posts