Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to run this car through you guys. I’m planning to go see it this weekend since it is very local to me. Some facts I know so far are there is no documentation of the restoration, the car is originally green and he suspects the quarters were replaced but he is not sure.
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 z28 | eBay

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
It has had half quarters also known as quarter skins put on. Not full quarters like is preferred. If done correctly not horrible, " that is not the case here" this is a hack job. He wants way too much money for a car with shoddy quarters. A few other things about it stand out like the air cleaner seal is inside out. I would say it's maybe a $60K car just from those quarter pictures. That would scare me away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has had half quarters also known as quarter skins put on. Not full quarters like is preferred. If done correctly not horrible, " that is not the case here" this is a hack job. He wants way too much money for a car with shoddy quarters. A few other things about it stand out like the air cleaner seal is inside out. I would say it's maybe a $60K car just from those quarter pictures. That would scare me away.
Well that sounds like enough to scare me away.. Does that mean that only the bottom part of the quarters were replaced? Also I’ve noticed some come with both driver and passenger side view mirrors while others only have the driver side. What sets them apart?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would agree with the above comments - the 80% quarter replacements look below average from the inside so I can only imagine what it looks like from the outside and under the paint/filler in that area

Well that sounds like enough to scare me away.. Does that mean that only the bottom part of the quarters were replaced? Also I’ve noticed some come with both driver and passenger side view mirrors while others only have the driver side. What sets them apart?
This car would have an "80%" replacement:

As opposed to the full and usually preferable replacement:

All 69s came standard with a drivers side mirror. Passenger mirrors were dealer installed or done by the owners... pretty common modification for safety purposes.

Interesting to note: this car has an 04L tag. There's been discussion over the years as to what that means/if it was truly just an error.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would agree with the above comments - the 80% quarter replacements look below average from the inside so I can only imagine what it looks like from the outside and under the paint/filler in that area

This car would have an "80%" replacement:

As opposed to the full and usually preferable replacement:

All 69s came standard with a drivers side mirror. Passenger mirrors were dealer installed or done by the owners... pretty common modification for safety purposes.

Interesting to note: this car has an 04L tag. There's been discussion over the years as to what that means/if it was truly just an error.
Very informative, thank you.

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
139 Posts
Let me ask you...do you like the car? can you afford the car? Everyone on this site has the best intentions and no one wants to see anyone get taken, but you'll never get everyone to agree on any car. There are too many Jerry McNeischs! If you like the car, buy the car and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Let me ask you...do you like the car? can you afford the car? Everyone on this site has the best intentions and no one wants to see anyone get taken, but you'll never get everyone to agree on any car. There are too many Jerry McNeischs! If you like the car, buy the car and enjoy it.
You do have a very valid point on not everyone will be happy with whatever said car. Those quarters just scream to me that the seam is going to fail, and whatever may be hiding in places that are not pictured. At this price , I wouldn't call it a entry level purchase. There are more out there. He just needs to look around . The right one will find him.

·
15,871 Posts
How do you plan to use the car?

Have your ever driven a 1st Gen Z28

you can find very nice cars that are way more street friendly for a ton less.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I don't like the color change. Incorrect master cyl, cheap chinese booster.
Rear stripes are way off. Start way to far away from the back window. Should look more like this:

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I think it's over priced yes, but I like the car myself. Besides the quarter the rest of the car looks well detailed with a few mistakes here an there but most cars have a few errors.

The quarters are the only thing that could present problems down the road but I wouldn't let that kill a deal if you can get the price down to something more reasonable. Those quarters could go a decade without needing attention, but they will hurt resale in the future like they do today.

The car doesn't look to have had the below the windshield rot problem so it's not been a rust bucket restored probably.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
First off some wrong items, not a big deal except for the price. Wrong shifter knob, Master brake cylinder, PS resoiver , steering wheel, stripes, color change. Mileage? And Z's are not for cruising and were not designed for that. You need to drive one to see what most of us know.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
It’s a very nice looking car . As for the quarters another way to look at it is that while full quarters are certainly fine and generally a better way to go, they do not preserve the original factory spot welds at the edges. Just saying. I have an original quarter X33 car that needs the area behind the wheels repaired . Other than a lot of dents the quarters are solid with this exception and I struggle to cut off the GM quarters for Chinese made replicas that will no doubt need cutting and welding of their own-talk about welded seams failing! That said ,the tag appears to be genuine and real Zs are becoming more and more scarce . Could always buy and redo with full quarters and Rally Green paint at a future date . As for value I’d be no more than $60k .

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I personally don't think the color change hurts anything. Many would rather have a black Camaro than the green, so they are better off to me with black.

·
Registered
645 Posts
“And Z's are not for cruising and were not designed for that. You need to drive one to see what most of us know.”

You got that right.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This Camaro sold back in 2016 from MotoExotica. Claim back then was original body panels. Also looks like the rear stripes were redone, at least on the lower lip.

Quote: "The glossy black paint is in very good condition, with the contrasting white racing stripes naturally contrasting against the main body color. The car’s lights are intact and haze-free. The bumpers are in very good condition, too. It rolls on BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires, 215/70R15 front and rear within Chevy Turbine five-slot steel wheels that are in very good order. The original body panels are straight and the engine bay is very tidy."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts