Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Z w/o power. The entire front end is new and tight. I do, however have slack/slop in the steering. It seems to be tight going into the steering box but the output shaft is not moving in the same way. It seems that the box has excessive wear in it. My question is, there seems to be an adjustment screw/bolt, with a lock nut, right on top of the steering box. Is this an adjustment or does it control something else. If it is an adjustment, please advise on proper procedure. Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Racer

·
15,370 Posts
That's the lash adjustment that you see on top of the box.
There is a lot that goes into adjusting the steering gear (steering box) as there's more than one adjustment procedure. You can adjust the lash and the worm bearing preload. The Chassis Service Manual explains it all pretty well and can help you determine whether the box has worn gears.
I can scan the pages and email them to you if you do not own the manuals.

Someone here can probably break it down for you to get you started on at least determining if it's the steering box that needs attention or not.
That is, assuming everything else in the steering assembly is in good shape.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Depending on how many miles are on your box, it is probably worn. You might be able to adjust the lash and make it better, but make sure you follow the service manual instructions carefully.

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts