Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 Z28 that has the low fuel indicator in the console attached to the gas gauge. Does anyone know if there's a way to test these if you have it out of the car to see if they are working properly and where the different wires attach on the gas gauge studs when they're installed. How low does the fuel have to get before the dash light is supposed to come on. Thanks...

·
Retired
26,699 Posts
Mine comes on about 1/2 - 3/4 full going around corners... And stop and go sloshing around 1/4 - 3/8 full. I have never run it down to see it come on and stay on...

Do a search on it in this forum, there was some great info a few months ago.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Dennis, is your low fuel indicator module an original unit? I thought it only happened with repro modules like mine. The continuous blinking bothers me at times.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Registered
366 Posts
The wiring is:

Black is ground
Red connects with the pink on the guage
Lt. Green connects with the tan on the guage
Yellow goes to the "FUEL" dash light

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My low fuel light starts blinking at about the 1/8 mark when I stop and take off. It lights up more often as it gets closer to empty but that's as close to running out of gas as I want to get.

1969 Fathom Green Z28
"I wish I could go back in time and know what I know now."

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My original one "blinks" as noted above...

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 3/7/02)

·
Retired
26,699 Posts
Mines orig. I put the needle on the E last Saturday with only flashing (stop and go or turns) when I filled up it took about 12 gals so I still had 6 in the tank. It may not read right but I'm not complaining with almost 240 miles I don't mind filling up with 6 gals in the tank!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Retired
26,699 Posts
I only get that kinda mileage when cruising with a group. Let the guy with the 4.10's lead and keep a light foot on the gas pedel... If you cruise any distance at all over drive is the way to go!!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been meaning to let mine get down to the "E" mark and then fill up to see how many gallons it will hold. Like you mentioned Dennis, I'll be able to tell how much gas I have left on "E". The only problem is if when I get on "E" I may only have vapors left in the tank. I might should put me a gallon of gas in the trunk to be safe, or a good pair of walking shoes. By the way, when you fill up do you stop pumping when the nozzle clicks off the first time or do you continue some more? Donnie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts