Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to be clear, there is no general replacement ( TRW, MOOG, Etc) for the long manual pitman arm for '69 Z28? I would rather buy one from the local parts house, I guess this is not an option?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
At the top of this forum's topics, there is a sticky topic that has "steering numbers long version". It might be in there. I know Rick's sells them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not see it there or at D Pozzi's site- just wanted to make sure I did not miss it, cause so far I have!

Today, I ordered one from Auto Zone which showed the application for 5.0 L, 302 ci engine- which shocked the salesman ( Chevy made a 302?). It is supposed to come tomorrow- if it is the correct length I will advise, since it was only $59.00.

Thanks again-

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Today, I ordered one from Auto Zone which showed the application for 5.0 L, 302 ci engine- which shocked the salesman ( Chevy made a 302?).

Rob
I went to a HP type store to get some rocker nuts and I told the "kid" 302 Chevy. He brought some for Ford and I said "Chevy". He wanted to tell me they didn't make a 302 'til some older parts guy told him they did.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Rick's sells them. They are made by a parts mfg. that specializes in obsolete parts.

·
10,164 Posts
Pitman, PS , long, Moog# 6582 New production run, no grease fitting - Currently available at any auto parts store that sells Moog parts. These appear to be less durable than grease fitting type, have Delrin liner around the stud.

Pitman, PS long, TRW # 18770 Same as above. Possibly a Moog part in a TRW box.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But...these are for Power Steering correct? I will see what comes today from Auto Zone. I see that Rick's, et al has them- just looking to buy locally.

Thanks-

Rob

Pitman, PS , long, Moog# 6582 New production run, no grease fitting - Currently available at any auto parts store that sells Moog parts. These appear to be less durable than grease fitting type, have Delrin liner around the stud.

Pitman, PS long, TRW # 18770 Same as above. Possibly a Moog part in a TRW box.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep me posted-I'm looking for the same thing,and the long idler as well.
Well, Auto Zone does have one for the Z28, but the one they shipped me was not the correct one...seems that if you order the one for 302 CI, you get the short one- you have to get the "w/ Z28" one for the correct part. It should be here Thurs., and I will let you know if this one is correct. Might should have done the RFG thing, but this one is ~$100, and no shipping so if it is correct it represents a deal for me.

Rob

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the correct replacement pitman arm today for '69 Z28 w/ manual steering. Looks OK, has greese fitting, close to the original shape, Etc. Cost was $107.99,
From AutoZone, and made by Rare Parts Inc.

Bag has 1006 , and RP 20526 on it. Hope this helps others in need!

Rob

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I posted Power Steering numbers
Manual short pitman is MOOG K6150, TRW 18768

I don't have a long pitman number for manual steer.

Idler Arm: K6099 Federated / MOOG

18718 TRW
David
Not a problem! The one I got from Rare Parts looks pretty good, and is the right length, so all is well. Thanks for the willingness to help.

Rob

·
10,164 Posts
The 6099 is not long or short, it's in the middle!:confused:
It's shorter than a 67 idler, and longer than a 68/69.

It's a pretty good option for any first gen Camaro since it's in-between the long pitman and short pitman.

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts