Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '69 Z28 with headers, and I'm looking for a complete power steering setup to install. The headers were already on the car when I bought. My question is when you order headers do they ask you if the car has power or manual steering to get the correct headers? I'm just wanting to know now if I will have a clearence problem or any other problems with the installation before I get started. Thanks, Donnie...

·
10,164 Posts
I think the PS box sticks out about a half inch more than a manual box. So if your headers clear your manual box by 3/4 to 1 inch you will probably make it.
My buddy just put PS on a 69 Z/28 with Hooker competition plus headers, and it worked fine.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I change from manual to power steering will I be able to reuse the pitman arm from my manual steering box or will I have to get one expecially for PS? Does anyone know of an individual that has a complete setup for PS that will install on a '69 Z28 with the factory 302 motor? Please email me if you do. Thanks, Donnie...

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Nope, PS pitman arm is different. It has a different diameter hole. When you ask about "complete" set up, what are you looking for? I have a PS box, hoses and pump with bracket from SB that will work (no pitman arm or pulleys). Email me if interested.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know how many pulleys are needed on a '69 Z28 with the 302 motor for a PS setup? The books I've looked at looks like there's only two--the pulley on the pump and the lower pulley from the balancer. I've also heard that the water pump may need one--is this correct? Thanks, Donnie...

·
10,164 Posts
Two grouve crank pulley, single grouve water pump pulley is all that is needed.
The Z/28 used special deep grouve pulleys.
I have the part numbers on my suspension page below.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
All '69 Z/28's came with the double deep-groove crank pulley when they were new, whether they had P/S or not; if yours doesn't have one, someone replaced it - they're available from the repro houses for about $100.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.