Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Z28 with stock suspension I am looking for new tires and wheels. What are the widest tires and wheels that I can install? Any suggestions?
What is the best way to raise the back end?
Do people still use traction bars?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hello Beal, welcome to Team Camaro! Plenty of real experts here! On my 69 Z, I have 17" wheels 8" front, 9" rear. Front tires are 235/45 and rears are 255/45. They don't rub. That said, the fronts may rub ever so slightly on a full right or left turn, while parking, etc. The rears clear inner and outer wheel lips....BUT...it may be ever so slightly rub on the inside during a curb transition as the axle rotates about the center, and not lifting evenly on both sides, such as going over a curb. For normal driving, these fit. Otherwise, make sure you measure for correct backspacing. Front Back spacing is 4.75" and the rear is 5.5". Move from this, and your situation may be different. Others will chime in with their choices. Keep in mind that different suspensions and springs may yield slightly different results.

Also, just my opinion, but traction bars are useful for drag racing, but on the street, not so much. Others may have better experiences.

Good luck, and welcome to the best Camaro 1st Gen site!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Beal, welcome to Team Camaro! Plenty of real experts here! On my 69 Z, I have 17" wheels 8" front, 9" rear. Front tires are 235/45 and rears are 255/45. They don't rub. That said, the fronts may rub ever so slightly on a full right or left turn, while parking, etc. The rears clear inner and outer wheel lips....BUT...it may be ever so slightly rub on the inside during a curb transition as the axle rotates about the center, and not lifting evenly on both sides, such as going over a curb. For normal driving, these fit. Otherwise, make sure you measure for correct backspacing. Front Back spacing is 4.75" and the rear is 5.5". Move from this, and your situation may be different. Others will chime in with their choices. Keep in mind that different suspensions and springs may yield slightly different results.

Also, just my opinion, but traction bars are useful for drag racing, but on the street, not so much. Others may have better experiences.

Good luck, and welcome to the best Camaro 1st Gen site!
Hi Chuck Thanks for getting back to me Team Camaro looks like a pretty cool site I appreciate your help
How do I measure back spacing? Not familiar with that
What wheels do you use? Are they offset? Any pics?
What is the best way to raise the back end
Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Traction bars can help a lot if you are getting wheel hop.

Most street tires just go up in smoke with a lot of power but bad wheel hop will break things.

Reactions: Vega$69

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts