Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father sadly passed away recently and I became the new owner of his 69 Z28/RS Camaro that was taken apart in 84, parked it in a barn, and never touched again. I plan on doing a full restoration on the car and am happy to say I still have the original body parts (hood, grille, fenders, etc), sub frame, wheels, engine, trans, and rear end. I am in the process of deciding what suspension to put on the car for a nice pro touring look. If anyone has any suggestions or tips on the restoration please let me know! I grew up doing body work and fabrication so that part will be easy, all the rest will be a bit new to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I will say your Dad had excellent taste. Best of luck with the restoration :beers:

·
11,316 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to here about your Dad, but we are glad you plan to get his project underway!

From the looks of the firewall pics, it is indeed a RS Camaro with a Muncie 4 speed and (console gauges?). Pro touring is a great look, but for a rare Z/28 with matching engine and trans (not that many left!) I would only do mods which can be easily returned to original. The value in Z/28s is in the original condition.

Good luck and ask away!

ps, I learned this the hard way, DO NOT throw anything away, you never know when your project goes a different direction, or something that you thought was scrap, can be restored/rebuilt better then new (and the repro part doesn't fit at all!)

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
618 Posts
Welcome, sorry for your loss

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! Sorry to here about your Dad, but we are glad you plan to get his project underway!

From the looks of the firewall pics, it is indeed a RS Camaro with a Muncie 4 speed and (console gauges?). Pro touring is a great look, but for a rare Z/28 with matching engine and trans (not that many left!) I would only do mods which can be easily returned to original. The value in Z/28s is in the original condition.

Good luck and ask away!

ps, I learned this the hard way, DO NOT throw anything away, you never know when your project goes a different direction, or something that you thought was scrap, can be restored/rebuilt better then new (and the repro part doesn't fit at all!)
I have to ask how did you know that the car was a RS and 4speed? Not asking in a hateful way at all just so hard being a LOS code to see what is actually in the car.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I did not have enough space to show more pics. Bought the update because this site is amazing. Also meant to add that the car is originally a 76/76 car, Daytona Yellow as you can see on the firewall. Still might go flat black in the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
I have to ask how did you know that the car was a RS and 4speed? Not asking in a hateful way at all just so hard being a LOS code to see what is actually in the car.
Welcome aboard !
Kevin's probably :boring: right now so I'll fill in for the moment. :) On the right side (looking at your photo) of the master cylinder is a rubber grommet with 2 holes in it. Those are for vacuum lines for the hideaway headlights (RS).

And it has a "Muncie Hole" for the speedo cable on Muncie transmissions. Here's a photo of a 67 showing the holes.

http://camaros.org/images/pages/options/firewall_speedo.jpg

In 69, a Muncie 3spd was also used on the SS models. I'm not sure if they had a "Muncie hole" as well ? I think they did. But all Z/28's were Muncie 4spd.

Daytona Yellow is a very desirable color. Which interior (code) does it have ?

·
11,316 Posts
Yes, was sleeping :) Garth is correct! RS vacuum lines and Muncie hole. Actually the hole in the firewall near that clip (SAVE THE CLIPS!) is for the speedo cable. It was routed that way since the Muncie 4-speed speedo was on the pass side and cable had to route over the trans.

The other hole I see look like the oil line for console gauges. What is missing is the hole above the fusebox where the cowl hood wiring routing. So it was probably a flat hood Z.

I have a Van Nuys 69 SS and researched firewall holes a lot to figure mine out :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daytona Yellow is a very desirable color. Which interior (code) does it have ?
Seems the interior was a 711 code with the 76/76 color code. Here is a pic of the plate up close, hope that helps us know for sure its a Z28/RS. He was never the type to have a clone but claim it as real, so I hope I get get some solid info on it. Again thank you all for the help so far! Shopping for front suspension stuff right now since they are on sale, but really not sure what route I want to go. I have no front suspension parts or brakes at all for the car, so its time to either go crazy or mild.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
711= Black standard interior. Goes good with the yellow (or any other color for that matter) !:)

As you probably know, there isn't any RS or Z/28 distinguishing codes on a 69 LOS cowl tag. But you mentioned the drivetrain. A numbers matching DZ engine is about as solid proof as there is. The transmission and rear end may offer solid evidence as well. Here's a guide on checking drivetrain codes....1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding Keep in mind, re-stamps are not uncommon, so someone with experience should validate the authenticity. There's several of us around here that can help with that if you can provide some photos....

Cowl tag looks totally original and untouched, btw. ;)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(There's several of us around here that can help with that if you can provide some photos....)
Sadly this is the only pic I have of the rear end until I get it into a garage to tear it down more. Also threw in a pic of the only rust on the body that I have found, a pic of the interior through the firewall and lastly a bonus pic of all the cars I brought home. (69 plain Jane and Z28/RS Camaro, 69 and 70 El Camino SS, and a 71 Monte Carlo)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Nice pics. I see a fire extinguisher mount on the pass kick panel, what could be a super shifter hack on the trans tunnel, slapper bars, and a replacement diff cover. If only she could talk.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Any surprises in the rest of that fleet?

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
64 Posts
I agree, keep it stock. Check the roof for rust right above where the chrome trim is located.

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
64 Posts
Don't know where you are located but if you are close to Northwest NJ I'd help you put it back together. If you haven't already purchase an Assembly Manual and the electrical drawing get them. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I totally agree.. RESTORE the car to stock condition, and color...

RS/Z's are rare in the camaro world and valuable when restored. If you restomod the car, then you LOSE that value..

PS. There have been many yellows used on cars over the years, but 1969 Daytona Yellow is the BEST color yellow of all...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts