Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Weaver,

The dimensions are in the assembly manual. Look closely at the coupe
measurements as most cars aren't painted per the factory specs. the most
common error is that the stripe is painted 5/8" from the rear window moulding which the drawings show to be 5.20". Hope this helps. If you don't have an assembly manual I can send you a copy of the pages. Billy

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
2 things people make the biggest mistake on when applying the stripes that at least I notice are. They make the smaller pinstripe 1/4" instead of 5/16" from the larger, and they don't move or adjust the rear stripe to cover the Camaro emblem. The emblem should be completely inside the main stripe. The template is a good idea. You may have to move the emblem is way off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that a template would help,the reason I ask this question is that I have a 69 x77 Z28,someone questioned me about the rear stripes,I had always thought they were correct in width and spacing,but I am not an expert so I thought I would try to do some research.The stripes on the rear of my car are wider and spaced more than the front stripes.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
They should be wider than the front. I will try to get some measurements for you. Tried to get some measurements and thats pretty hard. The front is tapered slight towards the front. Approx 13" down to 12.75. The rear looks to be around 14". The big difference is the distance between the rear stipes is alot wider than the front. Alot of people use the same width (front and back) and it just doesn't look right. Again the small stripe with is .25 but the seperation between the stripes is .38. The distance between my rear main stripe is approx 16.75 by window and 16.5 by spoiler. This is between the wide stripe, not the pinstripe. It is only an approx as I didn't want to lay a ruler on the car. The front is approx 9.75 by cowl and 9.5 in front. Hopes this helps, I'm confused.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
morrisclassic said:
Weaver,

The dimensions are in the assembly manual. Look closely at the coupe
measurements as most cars aren't painted per the factory specs. the most
common error is that the stripe is painted 5/8" from the rear window moulding which the drawings show to be 5.20". Hope this helps. If you don't have an assembly manual I can send you a copy of the pages. Billy
That "View A" dimension in the assembly manual is incorrect; known-original Z/28's have the front edge of the stripes 5/8" from the lower reveal molding. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I'm looking at a picture of my brothers brand new 69 Z28 he bought from the dealer in 69 and the stripe are what look to be very close to the window trim. He also ordered it with an SS hood. Never seen another one like it

·
Registered
446 Posts
I looked at the drawing again in the assembly manual, the drawing is definetely of a 69 not a 68. It is dated 4-29. I had the stripes on my Z painted like the drawing after talking to Jim @ Classic Automotive Restorations
in NC, the same company that makes the convertible repos.
Billy

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
There are plenty of original paint 69 Z/PCs out there as examples. I have yet to see one that wasnt with the 5/8" dimension.

dave

·
Registered
446 Posts
Again ,can you verify that the stripes were factory or dealer painted as we all know a large percentage of the spoilers and stripes were put on & painted by the dealers? Why shouldn't we go by the assembly manual paint dimensions ? Billy

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Stripes on real Z cars were painted at the factory, not at the dealer. The exception would be a special paint stripe delete car, that later had the stripes added. And those would have a - - paint code so that would be a giveaway to if they were factory or not (aside from the very few exceptions).

I think a better question would be are there any verified original paint Zs with the AIM dimensions? Myself, I have yet to see it.

dave

·
Registered
595 Posts
morrisclassic said:
JohnZ,
What makes you think the assembly manual is wrong? Not trying to
be a know it all but what reference do you have that the factory
assembly manual is incorrect? Billy

I believe JohnZ has an unrestored '69 Z/28 in his garage.

·
Registered
659 Posts
morrisclassic said:
JohnZ,
What makes you think the assembly manual is wrong? Not trying to
be a know it all but what reference do you have that the factory
assembly manual is incorrect? Billy
It is just a known fact that those figures are incorrect (they do not compare favorably to what was applied to the cars in reality), not to mention John's credentials and ownership of an original 1969 Z-28. Do note however that early cars had the narrow stripes like the 1968 versions. I would go with dimensions from a known car.

Good luck with it-

Rob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.