Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately that my tach won't register but a little past 2000 rpm. When it idles it sits on 900rpm which is correct as far as I know. I compared it to another '69 Z28 the other day and noticed that the needle on it was straight with the center of the tach. Mine wasn't. My needle seems to be off center. Has anyone had this problem where you can tell me what I need to do? I didn't know if it can be corrected without removing the tach or if it has to be removed and sent off for repairs? I've never removed the tach, so in case I have to remove it can someone please tell exactly what all has to be done? Thanks, Donnie.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I'm not getting any replies I think I'm just going to send it to a place I emailed yesterday. They'll take it apart and fix whatever the problem is for $125. But first I'll probably try something that a guy at Rick's First Generation told me today that might fix the problem.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Take of the front plastic cover on the right instrument pod. It's held on by 4 phillips heads screws. The rear of the tach has 3 small nuts that hold it into the dash carrier. I think they are 1/4" or 5/16". Pull the connector of the rear of the tach and remove these 3 nuts and the tach will pull right out of the dash carrier.

How is your needle off center? is the hole in the needle itself offcenter, is the whole tach shifted to one side so the pin the needle sits on is off center in the hole, or is the pin bent so it's off center. If the pin rubs on the hole thru the face of the tack it will jam up and not indicate correctly. If the pin is rubbing on the hole you may be able to move the face of the tach over a bit when you get it out of the dash carrier.

Hopefully you are using a stock ignition setup. MSD type ignitions can play havoc with the stock tach if you don't have the MSD setup correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts