Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,

Thought you all may be interested in an LSX conversion with 6L90E (similar to 6L80E A6 in current GM cars - 6L90 is the high torque truck version).

Please forgive me for having to revise the trans tunnel. It was agonising making this decision....made slightly easier by the fact that the car is a plane Jane and came with a 73 BBC and TH400. Would not do this to a numbers matching car.

I posted on LS1 Tech as there is a lot of A6 interest there, so here is the link, hope thats OK.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898899

Would appreciate hearing from anyone on here that is considering or doing the same trans conversion.

Thanks & cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
RSZ28,

I know you went with the 6l90 (likely due to the engine you're putting in front of it). Do you know if the 6l80 would fit a first gen without tunnel mods?

Thanks,

Dee

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Did you drag your feet long enough yet Bonzo? :)

Cheers.
LOL, I wore out my shoes, had to buy new ones.

Leaning towards a separately controlled 4L80E. Decision should be made before spring.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,444 Posts
LOL, I wore out my shoes, had to buy new ones.

Leaning towards a separately controlled 4L80E. Decision should be made before spring.
I love my 4L80E but would love a 6 speed auto even more............... :yes: Of course, then there's floor mods most likely, driveshaft and crossmember mods, different controller and wiring, etc....................

Jody

·
Registered
202 Posts
Of course, then there's floor mods most likely, driveshaft and crossmember mods, different controller and wiring, etc....................
I don't mind those things so much. I had to do a lot of that when I put a 700R4 in the '67. Did not have to mod the tunnel though. That's the one I want to avoid. If I have to mod the tunnel I probably won't do it.

My plan is to buy a low mileage L92/6l80e combo with all wiring and computers. My bigggest question is, will it fit?:confused:

I have an LQ9 I bought to mod and install with a T56 from keisler. That did not work out and the wife does not like to ride in manual tranny cars (motion sickness). I figure if I go with an auto I will enjoy it more since she will go along and I get to drive it more! So selling the LQ9 and looking for the L92/6l80e.

Good thing is I have the '67 to drive while the '69 is on the operating table if it takes more than the winter season to complete.:thumbsup:

Anyone out there installed a 6l80e in a first gen?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RSZ28,

I know you went with the 6l90 (likely due to the engine you're putting in front of it). Do you know if the 6l80 would fit a first gen without tunnel mods?

Thanks,

Dee
Hi Dee,

Case size on 6L80 is the same as the 6L90 with the only difference being the 6L90 is 1.25" longer at the rear, so whether to mod the tunnel or not is pretty much the same with both.

It is not that it wont fit without raising the tunnel roof via a re-section, or heat, its just that ground clearance becomes something of a challenge if it is not.

We gained around 1 1/2" ground clearance at the rear by "revising" the tunnel roof. Some of this clearance is enabled via additional tunnel revision at the front where the main case meets the converter housing which is 9/16" taller than a 4L65 case (this is the main tight spot). This enables the additional movement upward at the rear which also requires the case to be "thru the tunnel roof".

Of course if the engine can be dropped a little lower, this gains a little more clearance at the rear of the trans.

I should sketch this relationship up and post it. Will try and get some time at the end of the week.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are these 6-spd auto trans holding up to HP?
Probably similar to the early days of the TH400's, though maybe better.

They support the 4000lb gen 5 Camaro to low 13's stock.

GM draws the line for the 6L80E car version so far at about 430HP and at 550HP in the supercharged Cadi CTS-V goes to the 6L90E truck version. (stronger output section)

Not uncommon to see them in TT cars producing over 500HP. And in low 11 sec 4000lb NA cars without damage.

Give them a hard time though, and like any trans they will break.

:)

·
13,867 Posts
The bigger challenge has been cutting up the tunnel to fit the transmission in the first GEN also the gearing is not ideal unless you have something like 3.08s. It has a very low first

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
response to 10yo thread?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts