1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Sales and model longevity means you focus first on the design, then the performance and technology. That was the problem with the 6th gen. Cleaned up at the track but looks like a**.

I'd even consider one for a track car, but I can't stand the idea of trading in my Scat Pack Shaker Challenger. Way cooler in look, sound and comfort. I gotta figure out how to keep it and steal an ugly 2019 Camaro 1LE!

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Sales and model longevity means you focus first on the design, then the performance and technology. That was the problem with the 6th gen. Cleaned up at the track but looks like a**.

I'd even consider one for a track car, but I can't stand the idea of trading in my Scat Pack Shaker Challenger. Way cooler in look, sound and comfort. I gotta figure out how to keep it and steal an ugly 2019 Camaro 1LE![/QUOTE

I pretty much agree. The Camaro look is looong in the tooth. But the best looking retro muscle car in my opinion the challenger is just about there too.
They need a serious freshen up like the mustang had.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I happy with my 5th Gen. Challengers are cool, but kinda of drive like a tank.

Attachments

Reactions: ckaram

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Yes I'm old school. What the designers achieved with the next gen Camaro is a sin IMHO. 50 years later and the First Gen's are still popular. Wouldn't you think the designers would try and replicate the 1st Gen design ?? Look at Dodge and Ford. The Challenger looks amazing. Mustang is second. Just my .02 LOL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree you would think GM would have the some of the best designers money can buy, but while they have the performance to keep pace with the others the design, (and price) has been such a let down. Even with the base V8 version they are going to offer, it seems to little too late. I understand Corvette is always going to be the flagship, but it seems the last few years the Camaro from a design stand point has been treated like the ugly step kid. There must be some interesting focus groups they are getting their info from, I guess.

·
14,103 Posts
Unfortunately current DOT safety requirements to some extent dictate design parameters. This translates into higher belt lines, larger A pillars and many other things that make these cars bulky and heavy.

Yes if the could exactly duplicate a 1st Gen they would sell a million the 1st year

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Yes if the could exactly duplicate a 1st Gen they would sell a million the 1st year
Except correct the panel gaps to todays standards.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well look at todays Challenger, it is the most retro, and with a very minimal facelift, it has had the same body for over ten years, and it is out selling the Camaro!

Will GM get a clue, and figure out that retro versions of the original, that conjure up great memories and nostalgia, but have the modern power and comfort are still very popular. GM needs to ditch the "tuner" design, and bring back the 1st gens styling cues, BUT this time- small body that seats 4 with a large green house. Light weight aluminum unibody and components.
*A true 2 door hardtop with functional quarter windows would be a nice bonus. (other car companies build them)

GM, How about you grow a pair and make a desirable retro Camaro for the masses again?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
GM has let down it’s loyalists yet again. So they will stop production of the Camaro AGAIN because they can’t figure out why they are being outsold by the competition. So those of us that continue to remain loyal to Chevrolet have basically two choices to choose from if we want a V8,a Corvette or a truck/SUV. Chevy needs to get it together and make a true retro Camaro the way that Ford did with the Mustang and the way Dodge did with the Challenger.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
My heart is with old school Camaros, but I may be looking at a used GT350 if my wife doesn't give me s**t! Hope to drive a friends soon. The sound and high revs give me wood...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Is the Camaro available over seas like the Mustang, sales soared. When was the last time you saw a Camaro ad. Dodge is all over the place. They need to clean up the design, improve the interior and lower the price to be competitive. JMO

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
920 Posts
Lets give Ford credit where its due. They never gave up, even when they made that fuggly Mustang II. Somebody at Ford had the smarts to talk to enthusiasts in their pre 2005 focus groups who probably begged for a real throwback look. The 2005 Mustang was spot on, and 6th Gen Mustangs were easily ID'd with the Mustang heritage.

I'm in a club dominated by Mopars, must be 15 Challengers now, even one husband & wife both driving challengers, and another with the wife having a BOSS302, the husband a Shelby. My feeling is that Dodge did a good job, not quite as good as Ford did. I've driven in both the Boss, the Shelby, and the HellCats and I like the Mustangs on the road.

We also have some newer Camaro's in the club. Boy... how many times can you say they missed the boat from a styling point of view. Look back at the '69 Camaro and if you can't be inspired by that... their designers should go back to School. The '69 grill whether its a regular or RS is legendary... and just like Ford, Dodge, even BMW adopted an old, iconic look into a slightly more contemporary design, the chevy designers could've done the same. I'm a retired Industrial Designer, so I spent 2 hours tweaking the front. Like it or hate it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Chevrolet has washed their hands of retro vehicles. See any retro in the Corvette? ... See any in the pick ups?..... See any in the "Blazer"? The names are old, but that's it. We need to move to Ford, or Dodge to get a blast from the past. Chevy is too worried about European looking vehicles. At least I still have a few from back in the day. Shame.

·
14,103 Posts
The money for the big 3 is in trucks and SUVs

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lets give Ford credit where its due. They never gave up, even when they made that fuggly Mustang II. Somebody at Ford had the smarts to talk to enthusiasts in their pre 2005 focus groups who probably begged for a real throwback look. The 2005 Mustang was spot on, and 6th Gen Mustangs were easily ID'd with the Mustang heritage.

I'm in a club dominated by Mopars, must be 15 Challengers now, even one husband & wife both driving challengers, and another with the wife having a BOSS302, the husband a Shelby. My feeling is that Dodge did a good job, not quite as good as Ford did. I've driven in both the Boss, the Shelby, and the HellCats and I like the Mustangs on the road.

We also have some newer Camaro's in the club. Boy... how many times can you say they missed the boat from a styling point of view. Look back at the '69 Camaro and if you can't be inspired by that... their designers should go back to School. The '69 grill whether its a regular or RS is legendary... and just like Ford, Dodge, even BMW adopted an old, iconic look into a slightly more contemporary design, the chevy designers could've done the same. I'm a retired Industrial Designer, so I spent 2 hours tweaking the front. Like it or hate it?
I like the idea, and you can see the inspiration is the first generation, but they need an overhaul to a smaller body. While I like the 5th gen, it seems like a really big body on the outside, and small on the inside. Seems like there is a 1 foot of air bags and safety equipment in between the inside and the outside. The 6th gen outside dimensions were better but the outisde design and interior were crap. I would rather see a slim line model more based on the smaller 67 Camaro design:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I like the 5th and 6th gens. I don't like them more than 1st gens, but I like them. The single biggest design defect is the super high belt-line. I know it's for the side curtains, but you can no longer comfortably rest your elbow on the door. Apparently, no one at GM ever went cruising. On the bright side, the performance is tenacious and the ride with MRC is comfortable, even on lousy roads.

Back to the style issue. I agree with you guys, GM should have done a retro theme derived from the 1st gen. While GM argues the 5th gen does that, I don't really agree with them. Ford definitely gets a hats-off for the Mustang styling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts