Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 70 camaro rs has no horns does any1 have a wiring diagram that might help me in buying 2 after market horns than installing it? Imnot sure if the wheel itself has the set up like the contact wires etc for the horn either?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Re: 70 camaro no horns

The 70 Camaro share the same Wiring as the 1st Gen. You can bench test the horns by running a jumper from the Positive Terminal of the Battery to the Green Terminal on the Horns. If the horns work it could possible be the Horn Relay which when grounding the BLACK Wires from the horn Relay will either sound the Horn or the Key Buzzer. If this fails it's a Defective Horn Relay. If the Horn Relay test works it's probably the Horn Ground Contact Circuit in the Steering Wheel in which case you may have to remove the Steering Wheel and repair the Carbon Stick to Ring assembly if the Pad Ground look good.

If you using an Aftermarket Steering Wheel it could complicate matters.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The 70 Camaro share the same Wiring as the 1st Gen. You can bench test the horns by running a jumper from the Positive Terminal of the Battery to the Green Terminal on the Horns. If the horns work it could possible be the Horn Relay which when grounding the BLACK Wires from the horn Relay will either sound the Horn or the Key Buzzer. If this fails it's a Defective Horn Relay. If the Horn Relay test works it's probably the Horn Ground Contact Circuit in the Steering Wheel in which case you may have to remove the Steering Wheel and repair the Carbon Stick to Ring assembly if the Pad Ground look good.

If you using an Aftermarket Steering Wheel it could complicate matters.
Sorry i think you are misunderstanding me but i have no horns at all is what im saying nothing thus i dont even know what is in the steering wheel etc if the contacts are there or anything there are no horns thus i need to find out what i need to do to install them..

For starters how do you pry off the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

Until you get a set of Horns you can use a 12v DC Light Bulb in place of the horns to test the Circuit.

As far as pulling the Steering wheel it depends on whether it is Stock or Aftermarket. Stock Wheels have 2, approx 1/4" Fine Thread, holes in which you can use a Fabricated or Mfgr'd Steering Wheel Puller.

Except for a Lower Extension, both the the 69 and 70 use Identical Columns and Electrics.

1st GEN Camaros are basically a Re-Skinned Nova sharing then same Cowl and Sub Frame; where as, the 70 was GM's 1st Complete Design of the Camaro Concept making the Body Unique from other cars. Aside form the low Numbers in the 1/2 Year of Production, the 70 has many components that are Specific to the Year and therefore difficult to restore today. The Sub Frame is Specific as are the A Arms. They use the Larger Ball Joints from a 69 Chevelle ... etc.

Aside from a Re-Designed Shell with a lower and wider stance Engineered for Performance Enthusiast and T/A Racing it offered a more Powerful Larger Displacement LT1, the 69 and 70 Z's basically share the same Drive Train.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts