Votes: 0 0.0%

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I've been working on my car since I was 19 (now 29) and it's been collecting dust more than anything. I've decided I want to actually drive it in my 30th year so I'm back at it. I rebuit the suspension years ago with polyeurethane, new everything and a 2" dropped spindle. With new stock coils the thing sits just right and gets good ground clearance. I had the car painted a few years ago and forgot to cover the newly assembled suspension when they sandblasted the car. :mad: Still kicking myself for that one. So, in a rush, I dissassembled the suspension (ugghh!!) and had my paint guy paint it and then re-assembled it in a bit of a hurry. In double checking my work I realized that I did not have the spring seated properly so I took them out.
So here's my problem: The motor is out of the car and the whole front body is off as well. Needless to say, there is very little weight in the front. I have take the lower control off at the pivot bolts and left the ball joint connected. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to compress the spring enough with my jack with out lifting the car off of the stands. This makes me real nervous as the jack is the only thing holding the car up while I'm trying to force the control arms back into their place. Any suggestions here? Should I use a spring compressor? THe external ones I've seen don't look like they'd work as the screw rod is way long and wouldn't clear the frame. How get these springs back in without risking dropping the car?
FYI...I'm an idiot so please take it easy on me. :D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts