Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i just recently bought a 70 rs ss from what i was told it is suppose to be a big block 4 spd car is there any way to identify from looking at the frame or anything there is no motor and i cant find a build sheet ..would it be on top of the gas tank.

·
10,158 Posts
Check the shifter hole for a separate raised stamping for the shifter that is spot welded on. Automatics had a flat trans tunnel.

A big block or high perf small block would come with a 12 bolt rear axle.
A Z/28 would have a gas pedal that bolts to the floor, don't know if a BB would have that but an SS 350 or regular model would have just a hanging pedal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 71 ssrs buildsheets were under the carpet drivers side back and also on top of gas tank. w/o a buildsheet it would be hard to determine if it were a big block. If it's an SS it will have front and rear sway bars. No way to verify RS w/o buildsheet. I believe the motor mount on the frame is different on the big block cars as well.

jw

·
Registered
35 Posts
Scott, is your car a Norwood or VanNuys? If a Norwood, the cowl tag should show either L34 or L78. If it's VanNuys, try to find the build sheet. In any case, look for any traces of original black paint on the back panel, and welded-on brackets on the frame for a rear sway bar. Only Z28's had the floor mounted gas pedal in '70 & '71.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 70 rsss help (subframes)

thank you for the info so far and does anyone know if all camaro subframes from 70-81 will interchange with each other i have a 70 body that needs a subframe ..and i have a 78 camaro parts car .thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 71 is a Van Nuys and the build sheet was on top of the tank, just as pretty as new w/ a lot of dust on it. It will be attached to tank with small piece of sound deadener, so be careful not to tear it when removing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts