Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 305 TPI Z28 with a 700R4 auto.
I find the tranny doesn't always kick back down into first gear when I punch it in second at about 40-50 km/h. I've had the tranny rebuilt and I've tried adjusting the tv cable but nothing's working. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
94 Posts
sometimes if you put a shift kit in them they wont shif down. icant remeber what you half to change to fix it. i will half to get back to you on this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the 700-R4 with a shift kit. Mine will kick back into 2nd but will only stay for about a half of a sec. If I under 35 it works fine but after 40 or 45 I can forget it. A friend of mine a the chevy dealer said it does that to keep your motor from turning too many RPMs. So I guess it's a good thing.

------------------
Charles Taylor
89 Camaro RS

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Meat,
The governor springs change this to a point. If you know who rebuilt it, ask them if it got a shift kit and what brand. There are at least 4 different governors with different weights in them plus the spring changes that can be made. Let us hear more info about the rebuild/ shift kit.

Good Luck
Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info....
Just like to know if it is a big deal to replace those governor springs myself...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Meat,
You can change the gov springs yourself, with paying attention to relocating them properly on the guide buttons in the gov. Look at the orignals before removing them,to see how and where they set. Use a small screw driver to R&R the springs. The problem is are they orignal or are they shift kit springs or what? This will need established before changes can be made. However I will say this,to make the shifts later the springs will need to be weaker.

Good Luck
Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks alot Larry....I'll try foling around with that spring...thanks again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Meat,
When you try this don't dissamble the gov, you can work the springs in w/o dissambely.Email me if you need more help.

Good Luck
Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts