Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS clone, 383 stroker, Viper Fuel injection, 700R4, SSBS four wheel discs
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700R4 tranny installed in my '68 Camaro. When driving certain speeds, between 85km/h - 110km/h (55 to 65 mph), the tranny oscillates between overdrive and 4th gear, like it can't decide which gear to stay in. What would cause something like that?

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Is your TVS cable adjusted properly?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 700R4 tranny installed in my '68 Camaro. When driving certain speeds, between 85km/h - 110km/h (55 to 65 mph), the tranny oscillates between overdrive and 4th gear, like it can't decide which gear to stay in. What would cause something like that?
Overdrive is 4th gear. Do you mean OD and 3rd? Or is it potentially locking and unlocking the converter?

·
13,976 Posts
TV cable adjust.

do you have a lock up TC and if so how is it controlled?

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS clone, 383 stroker, Viper Fuel injection, 700R4, SSBS four wheel discs
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is your TVS cable adjusted properly?
just went for a drive and during normal acceleration, first to second shifts at 12 mph, then second to third shifts at 23 mph. All the Youtube vids I saw say the first shift should be at close to 20 MPH. Does that seem high?? Also been suggested that I install a lock up kit. Seems simple enough and apparently recommended for transmissions installed in non-computerized cars?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
How is the lock up currently controlled? If at all. TV cable needs to be adjusted to be fully out at full throttle. With correct geometry (some times geometry correction bracket is used depending on the carburator)

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
just went for a drive and during normal acceleration, first to second shifts at 12 mph, then second to third shifts at 23 mph. All the Youtube vids I saw say the first shift should be at close to 20 MPH. Does that seem high?? Also been suggested that I install a lock up kit. Seems simple enough and apparently recommended for transmissions installed in non-computerized cars?
First, do you have a lockup converter?
I don't think the 700R4 is electronic. Not sure, only had one since 85. ( In IROC)
Do the TV cable adjustment. Wrong adjustment can destroy the trans.
Shift points will change according to how you are driving the car. Never really recorded points. Need to replace a radiator hose tomorrow, maybe I can drive around the block tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, do you have a lockup converter?
I don't think the 700R4 is electronic. Not sure, only had one since 85. ( In IROC)
Do the TV cable adjustment. Wrong adjustment can destroy the trans.
Shift points will change according to how you are driving the car. Never really recorded points. Need to replace a radiator hose tomorrow, maybe I can drive around the block tomorrow afternoon.
Everybody says to adjust the cable but there's yet to be a definitive simple instruction on how to do that. The vids I saw said to adjust so first shift is at 17 to 20 mph which seems very high to me, and here I'm told the cable needs to be fully out with full throttle. I'm so confused!!!

·
13,976 Posts
Everybody says to adjust the cable but there's yet to be a definitive simple instruction on how to do that. The vids I saw said to adjust so first shift is at 17 to 20 mph which seems very high to me, and here I'm told the cable needs to be fully out with full throttle. I'm so confused!!!
Adjusting for speed does not work because it's different with different rear end ratios.

Proper adjustment should be done using a pressure gauge.

Attached here are the complete instructions on how to accomplish this correctly. Directions on adjusting the TV cable are toward the bottom of the document.

TV Cable Adjustment

Reactions: Legacy 69

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Adjustment is set to be fully out at full throttle. But geometry has to be correct. And there is still a question on how is lock up connected on the vehicle.

Attachments

·
13,976 Posts
Good ideas posted but the best way is with a pressure gauge.

And if you have a lock up TC how is it set up. I believe the OPs issue may be going in and out of lock up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good ideas posted but the best way is with a pressure gauge.

And if you have a lock up TC how is it set up. I believe the OPs issue may be going in and out of lock up.
How do I know what kind of lock up I have? I bought the car already restored and have no build history. Do I just look for the connector on the tranny housing? Shifting from 1 to 4 has never been an issue, it's once the car is in overdrive that the problems start. The RPM's start oscillating approx 200 rpm.
This link is a video I took during a normal acceleration. As you can see, it all seems normal until after it shifts into 4th at 80 km/h. Then you can hear it skip three times.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
That sounds like torque converter lockup. Unplug the connector from the transmission and go for a drive to see if it stops doing that. Rpms will be a bit higher because lock up will not engage. If it runs smooth, either lock up clutch, or circuit.(electrical or hydraulic)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds like torque converter lockup. Unplug the connector from the transmission and go for a drive to see if it stops doing that. Rpms will be a bit higher because lock up will not engage. If it runs smooth, either lock up clutch, or circuit.(electrical or hydraulic)
Ok, I unplugged the connector on the L/H side of the tranny and the problem went away. And yes, the RPMs were a bit higher. So now what? Do I need to install an after market lockup? Keep in mind the tranny is installed in a 1968 Camaro. Really don't know where those wires are going cause there's obviously no onboard computer in the car.

·
13,976 Posts
Trace the wires back to the source. Could be to a pressure switch or brake switch or maybe somebody put it on a toggle switch.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
This is exactly why I went with a 4L60E. Same trans except electronically controlled. I bought a 6 mos old Goodwrench reman trans out of a wrecked pick up for $300. Bought the controller for $600 and a TPS set up for the carb for about $70. Easy to set up and program. My converter is set to lock at 52 mph. Sorry for the hijack; just want others to know there is an alternative to the 700R4.

To the OP. There are several threads on here regarding your options for controlling the lock up converter.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Need to trace the wires and see how it is controlled now. If they used a vacuum switch, it might need to be adjusted. Or add a switch for manual control to test if lockup able to hold correctly

·
13,976 Posts
Need to trace the wires and see how it is controlled now. If they used a vacuum switch, it might need to be adjusted. Or add a switch for manual control to test if lockup able to hold correctly
Would not have used a vacuum switch

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the wires go from the connector to a switch about 6" behind and the rest goes up to the firewall inside the car. I haven't traced the wires yet, it's a bit of a rat's nest so I'll need to do that this week-end.
Does that switch look familiar? One pic is of the disconnected connector and the other is what I assume to be a pressure switch where some of the wires go to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts