Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking the tpi off my 69 350. How can I keep the 700 r4 and get rid of the computer? This thing will run great one day and the next it runs like crap,idles high one minute and won't idle at all the next,I've set all the sensotrs per painless specs. no power, shifts at different times...etc. this is a 350 hp motor with a stage 2 chip early tpi w/maf sensor.the only thing that isn't right is I still have 19 psi injectors instead of 22psi. I think I have one of them "female" computers that just does whatever it wants to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Personally would keep the injection, if u take to somebody and have them check it out, especially someone that knows about injection. To me personally it sounds like a I A C problem but thats just me. I used to live in Phoenix and I am pretty sure there is someone there that can help u. I also would make sure intake to head mating services are flat and u arent sucking air somewhere...But who knows thats my opinion

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 68 with a 396 BB and a 700R4 trans that I got from Bow Tie Overdrive. It is set up with a TV cable and it shifts perfectly. Everything I needed came with my trans but if you end up converting I,m sure you can get the stuff you would need either from Bow Tie or a a local place.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hey Draayer, how long have you run the 700R behind your 396? Is the motor pretty stock?
I am looking to put one in my 69 396 (slightly modified) but am worried about reliablilty. There are a lot of horror stories here, but the motors are pretty beefy. Maybe a 200R4....?
Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Registered
233 Posts
Elcoyote
Johnny6 is right. Have an expert check your TPI. They can be extremely frustrating, but when setup right they can be a joy to drive. Unless you really want to go for Max Performance. It may be something relatively simple. I had a vacumn
leak that caused similar symptoms.

But, if you really want, the 700 can be wired for lockup without the computer. Go here: 700r4 Conversion Tips As draayer said, the shift points are sety by the TV cable adjustment. You can find that on the link I gave you also.

Good Luck whichever way you go.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Call westside transmissions,in Avondale.They know how to lock up the converter,without any wireing,it's all done inside the trans.I had a tpi in my truck,didn't like it.Ran very good,just no power.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What did you used to race?

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just name it! Factory, supers, latemodels.
Trying to get back into latemodels now. Know of any rollers for sale??

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Nope,got out of racing last year.Ran a IMCA mod.Who are you?I'm Dale Bertram.Won the winter series championship last year.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts