Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
No, the only tall deck blocks are the 366 and 427 jobbers out of big trucks and busses and such unless you count the much newer 8.1 L Vortec 496 engine.

pdq67

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong PDQ....but it also seems that when you are looking at them, the tall deck has a different looking factory intake that the standard deck BBC's. It seems that the water neck comes in at a different angle or something. This might help if someone thinks they have a tall deck but really doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
Easy fact to verify whether tall deck or short deck is to look at the deck above the water pump, if pump matches deck, then short deck. If there is an inch between the pump & deck, tall deck.

Truck manifolds do this with the water necks.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
The tall deck intakes are different (wider) due to the fact that the decks are400" taller, which sets the heads a little higher and farther apart than on the car blocks. This is why the distributors are longer on the tall decks as well. A suburban block would not be considered a tall deck as pdg stated (unless someone put it in there).

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
They also made a 454 tall deck block for medium duty trucks and busses (in addition to the older 366 and 427 blocks). The spacing between the water pump inlet to the block and the head should be closer to a half inch (0.40") than an inch unless it is an aftermarket tall deck block which can run over 11" tall.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've never seen a tall deck 454 from the 70s or 80s. They "might" have made them but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Will a tall deck 427 fit in a 68 with a 2" cowl hood and ps, also what about header clearance?
Never mind found my answer, possible but a real pain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts