Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is if I can figure out where to start!
Plan is to get this car back to it's form from 1974 when my friend bought it. Not a show car restoration, but safe reliable car.

I did find one area of rust in the rear frame rail on the passenger side. Looks like a big project to me but I will not be in a hurry and hope to have lots of help where needed.

Here is a link to where I store the pictures:
http://imageevent.com/happy_dan/dantoys/73lt

·
Registered
380 Posts
i did that same thing to a 65 mustang 289 "A code" car 10 years ago, I found it in a relatives garage in san diego and drug it out of its tomb, good luck.
I believe you can find a complete floor replacement section with the rear frame rails.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-73-F-Body-Full-Trunk-Floor-Pan-Panel-w-Frame-Rail-Support-Braces-DynaCorn-/390352684514?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1972|Model:Camaro&hash=item5ae2d545e2&vxp=mtr
your going to have to fully dismantle the car, sandblast, replace and repair metal as you know. i think its great that you are saving that car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update. I have most of the interior out, of course it's fall here and lots to get done before winter so not too much time to work on the car.

I am taking pictures of everything and since it is pretty much an original, thought some of them may help folks in finding where things go on their projects.

Pictures are here:
http://imageevent.com/happy_dan/dantoys/73lt

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent the day taking the dash and aftermarket stereo out. That should be the end of the mouse poop and now I can get it in the garage and take my time working on getting it ready for blasting. Many plastic parts are so brittle they just break with little or no handling.

I even washed it. LOL. Not sure why but it made me feel better. Time to relax!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been a year now. Wow, time flys. I had to spend the summer working on my house so not much progress there, but I did get a bit done the last few weeks so I thought I would update the thread.

Subframe epoxy primered and ready for paint:

Subframe painted with Ceramic chassis black:

A-Arms, blasted primed and painted:

Box or parts showed up from P-S-T Suspension:

Time to get busy and put the subframe back together. Then it's time to start cutting and welding on the body. First I need a trip to the steel shop to get some stock to brace it all up.

Thanks for checking it out.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Dan, Kudos on your progress thus far, it all looks great. Soon you'll be reassembling parts rather than removing, cleaning, painting, etc. and that's when you'll really feel like you are on your way (which you are) :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update.

I had some friends over for the day Saturday to give me a hand on the car. We spent a lot of time messaging metal to get the fit right for the torque boxes, full floor and trunk. We welded the torque boxes to the trunk part and framerails and then put it all in the car with sheet metal screws. We fitted everything pretty much where the original was and put the doors on. Next step will be to mock up quarters, dropoffs, tail and trunk. Then take it apart and finish weld the floor and trunk for good. Long way to go.

I did finish the subframe some time ago. It is all painted and all wear items replaced. I forgot all about it until now. The body and metal work is much harder for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts