Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,
I have the opportunity to buy a 73 10 bolt out of a nova. I have a 68 Camaro. Will the springs line up? Is it the same width? Any help would be appreciated, THANX

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just bought a 74 Nova 8.5 rear housing for my 67 camaro.Measured the one in the car and compared those dimensions to the Nova rear.The two rears ,as far as I can tell,measure the same.Haven't installed the rear yet, but I would guess that the rear your want would fit.If I recall correctly,the distance between the spring perches, center to center,is 421/2 or 423/4 inches for both. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yes, it will fit. You'll probably have to shorten the driveshaft, but it will bolt right in from what I hear. I'll be doing the same swap sometime this week.

There are a ton of old posts on this too.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey, yeah it will fit i got mine out of a 74, got it cheap,just make sure what the nova had for springs(i think most had multi leaves)but i am not sure, but anyway there are different spring perches for mono leaf and multi leaf, but good luck, i'm glad to see alot of people doing this swap!!
Jake

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Are we sure about having to shorten the driveshaft? Not sure what that costs but that may make it a no-decision. I'm coming up with prices in the St. Louis area for the Nova rear of 150-200 with no guarantee of what gears I would be getting. Then you add on the cost of a posi unit & gears and setup it adds up. Plus I've had other guys say they've put posi in their 8.2 w/o problems so I might just upgrade my little rear end instead.

[This message has been edited by Winch (edited 03-19-2002).]

·
Registered
980 Posts
The 8.5 rear requires a shorter driveshaft, at least from all the previous posts I have read. Some didn't need theirs cut, because they had enough extra end play to begin with.

The 8.5 will have a different yoke on the rear (at least mine does), so you either need a specialty u-joint, or you will need to have a new end put on the driveshaft. I figured I'd just have mine shortened, and at the same time, get the right end put on it.

The last time I had mine shortened (swapped from TH350 to 4spd) it was $50. I'm not sure how much a new end costs, but I'll probably start hunting junk yards for the one I need.

I got my 8.5 from a 72 Nova. One of the odd ball years that had mono-leafs. I'm going with fiberglass leafs, so I was lucky to find this one. My posi unit is from an 86? caprice, and the gears are out of an 90 something Blazer. My total cost was 400. This is just an example that shows there are endless sources for 8.5" guts.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx Gang!
My 68 had mono leafs but I was planning to switch to multi leafs and the 1973 nova 10 bolt posi was set up for multi. I was worried about the springs and I never considered the drive shaft issue. My 68 had a 327 w/ a glide but I'm putting in a th350. Does anybody know how much shorter the driveshaft needs to be?
Thanx for all the replies,
Best Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
The front spring perches to the body are different. The springs can be used but you will need to use your camaro front perches..

·
Registered
122 Posts
68resto,

I replaced my old tired 8.2" open rear with a completely rebuilt 8.5" posi (w/ 3:73 gears) which came from a from 72 Nova donor car. I gathered as much info as possible before the swap and I expected to be able to do a direct swap with no mods to the drive shaft. As it turns out I did have to shorten my drive shaft by 1". The yoke design was not the same as my old one. It cost me $38 to have it shortened and rebalanced while I waited. There should be about 3/4" - 1" of free space so the drive shaft is not held tightly between the trans and rear allowing the u-joints to do their thing. After you replace your rear, insert the driveshaft all the way into the trans and hold up the other end against the yoke to check the fit. You may find you need to do nothing or shorten slightly.

Doug

------------------
Doug

'69 SS clone 350/300
'65 327/275 Corvette Coupe(previously)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a 8.5 10 bolt from a 73 Pontiac Ventura (thier version of the Nova)in my 67 with no problems other than having to shorten the drive shaft as mentioned in previous replies. I used a 3 leaf mono spring replacement spring I previously had installed. Had to fabricate spacers since the spring mounting pad was for a 5 leaf spring and was to deep for my units. I did away with the rubber insulators when I fab'b the spacers

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GDV350SS:
68resto,

After you replace your rear, insert the driveshaft all the way into the trans and hold up the other end against the yoke to check the fit. You may find you need to do nothing or shorten slightly.

Doug

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't insert the driveshaft all the way into the trans unless the yoke is new or at least smooth its entire length. You will screw up the tail shaft bushing in the trans if you slide a rusty old yoke too far into the trans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts