Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to group I have a 74 type lt camaro I’ve owned it for 44 years it has been sitting in a garage over 15 years without being started I’m getting the itch to put it back on road . Unfortunately not original being young and naive I had the roof cut off from pillars of course glass removed etc and cut off roof from later model w t tops and professionally done.Car has 350 w automatic overall excellent condition for sitting so long. Any recommendations what has to be done to get her going again
Thanks

· Premium Member
5,594 Posts
I would start with checking the fuel system for rotting gas and fuel lines. Pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in the holes. I like marvel mystery oil. Make sure you see oil in the dipstick. Turn it over a few times with the battery wire removed from the HEI distributor to build up oil pressure. Then put the plugs back in and make sure the spark plug wires go back where they came from. A little squirt of gas in the carb and see what happens. The fuel pump and carb may need attention due to sitting, but who knows, you may be lucky. Post some pictures of it.👍

Reactions: ZZ_430

· Registered
218 Posts
New to group I have a 74 type lt camaro I’ve owned it for 44 years it has been sitting in a garage over 15 years without being started I’m getting the itch to put it back on road . Unfortunately not original being young and naive I had the roof cut off from pillars of course glass removed etc and cut off roof from later model w t tops and professionally done.Car has 350 w automatic overall excellent condition for sitting so long. Any recommendations what has to be done to get her going again
Thanks
Having owned 2 74 Type LT Z28's I can probably help with some technical questions. IMO I would probably pull the engine and tranny and change all the seals and gaskets for both the engine and tranny. You could just try and lite her up per Keith's recommendation above and maybe you will get lucky but being a betting man I think she will lite up and leak all over the place. New carb gasket kit probably wouldn't be a bad thing either.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
193 Posts
Hey, try this;
Look on you tube for Vise Grip Garage, this guy does exactly what you are doing. He finds cars sitting for 30+ years and gets them running. He is pretty sarcastic and is sort of funny. But the processes he uses and the some of the fixes he does are great. He also has a show on Motortrend TV called Roadworthy Rescues.
Basically, step one - check for spark - fix as needed, check for fuel - fix as needed, then you know it will run. Then it is on to cooling and brakes.

The goal is to get it "roadworthy" then replace and upgrade as you can. It is a pretty good method of keeping a car on the road.

· Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Having owned 2 74 Type LT Z28's I can probably help with some technical questions. IMO I would probably pull the engine and tranny and change all the seals and gaskets for both the engine and tranny. You could just try and lite her up per Keith's recommendation above and maybe you will get lucky but being a betting man I think she will lite up and leak all over the place. New carb gasket kit probably wouldn't be a bad thing either.
The junkyards are full of cars and trucks that "preventive" problem repairs have gone overboard and overwhelmed the previous owner. Is the OP ready for this to possibly snowball into a restoration?

· Registered
218 Posts
The junkyards are full of cars and trucks that "preventive" problem repairs have gone overboard and overwhelmed the previous owner. Is the OP ready for this to possibly snowball into a restoration?
Oh I don't know Keith, my 69 Camaro started its restoration when I changed one broken quarter panel chrome trim piece. It just made the rest of the chrome look terrible and I was off. LOL. Actually I tried my best to do as little as possible with my current 71 and changed the valve cover and oil pan gasket only to later pull the engine and tranny to change the gaskets and the seals. Guess what it still leaks here and there and is now restored. No one ever said cars are easy. Hey its always worth it to try and lube her up, change the fluids and lite it up and see what happens.

· Registered
4,765 Posts
I would definitely pull the gas tank and at least give it an inspection and flush. Could be rusted and have sediment.

Go through the carb too, and the fuel pump diaphram could have dried out. Any rubber fuel lines should be replaced.

Keith's suggestions are right on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts