Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with my sons 78 Firebird ignition lock. There is a little clip that holds the lock in (that was missing when we got the car) and I can't for the life of me figure where, or how it fits. It doesn't have the lock screw like the later models. I believe 77-78 were the only ones made like this. Any help at all?? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am not sure exactly what you are describing about the ignition lock cylinder but here is a description of the two lock cylinders that were used from 1969 to 1he 1980s.

The 1969 thru early 1979 lock cylinders were held in place by a metal spring tab that sticks out of the lock cylinder. That tab engaged a rectangular slot in the column housing. Looking straight into the steering column housing, the slot is located right on the centerline of the lock cylinder, at about the 1 o'clock position in the housing.

If your steering column has never had the lock cylinder removed or replaced, there will most likely be a thin metal die cast membrane covering the slot. Keeping a thin bladed tool to the right side of the slot, break the housing flash and the same time depress the spring tab at the lower end of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder should slide right out when you depress the spring tab.

On steering columns that were built in late 1979 and later, there was a different method of retaining the lock cylinder in the column housing. There was an allen head screw in the column housing that passed through a notch on the lock cylinder. That screw is located at about the 2 o'clock position in the housing. It is right above the torks head housing screw that is at the 3 o'clock position. You must remove that allen head screw and the lock cylinder should come right out.

Is it possible that you have one of the late lock cylinders installed in the early column? There would be no way to retain it in place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts