Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am not sure if this is a suspension problem. I just bought a 79 camero z28. It needs work. The first thing I did was buy new rims and tires. I put 245 60R15 tires all around. My front tires are hitting the wheel well when I go over bumps or hit if I turn to sharp. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have no idea how the car drove prior to my replacing rims and tires as all four tires were shot. Had to tow the car home from where I purchased it.

·
19,907 Posts
Inside the wheel well or the fender lip ?

Sounds like wrong off-set, or could be a simple frontend alignment ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know the backspacing. The width is 245. and I just want to say thank you to all that are helping me.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I do not know the backspacing. The width is 245. and I just want to say thank you to all that are helping me.
That is the tire width. Looking for the wheel width. What wheels are they?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are bf goodrich P245 60R15. I am not sure of the width of the tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lot of guys on NastyZ28.com running that tire on stock wheels without any issue. What condition are the springs and shocks?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think I have stock wheels. I bought new rims and that tire for all four so it looks the same all around. Although the place I bought the tires from did suggest a smaller tire for the front.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I dont think I have stock wheels. I bought new rims and that tire for all four so it looks the same all around. Although the place I bought the tires from did suggest a smaller tire for the front.
Yep a 235 on the front may have made it.

Reactions: bills69

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
You know it looks like the track width is wider in the front. You really have to watch backspacing with aftermarket wheels.
I had Torque Thrust on my 77 with 235/60/15 and never had a problem but were probably 7" wheels. But off the shelf wheels are a crap shoot. The Astro Blades on my 68 are from the 80's and seems most back then wanted the wheel to stick out instead of tuck in so had less backspacing or "Deep Dish". You need to verify what you have. They look new so look at your invoice for the size. 8" & 245 may be too much for that car with the existing backspace.
Also, can you see where it is rubbing? Sometimes they will rub on a fender well bolt. If that is it you may be able to put in an allen button head bolt. Could be that close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks.. I am looking at the receipt and it just says p245/60R15 no other size. all four tires are the same. I am not sure where it is hitting. I will try to check better to see.if I can tell. I know if I am driving straight and if I hit a bump it causes the tire to hit and makes it hard to keep the steering wheel straight. I dont drive the car around as it needs smog parts still. LOL

·
Registered
681 Posts
they appear farther out of the fender on the front than a standard type wheel
I am running 235 60 15 all around on my 72 ss

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
thanks.. I am looking at the receipt and it just says p245/60R15 no other size. all four tires are the same. I am not sure where it is hitting. I will try to check better to see.if I can tell. I know if I am driving straight and if I hit a bump it causes the tire to hit and makes it hard to keep the steering wheel straight. I dont drive the car around as it needs smog parts still. LOL
Where are you. Most places smog is exempt after 25 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am in california. the smog capitol. I have to get my car smoged and all of that stuff is not on my car. I have to buy the bracket for the smog pump, smog pump, etc. I am looking for parts and also looking for info on exactly what was required in 79. Not fun.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I am in california. the smog capitol. I have to get my car smoged and all of that stuff is not on my car. I have to buy the bracket for the smog pump, smog pump, etc. I am looking for parts and also looking for info on exactly what was required in 79. Not fun.
Before long you will be the only one in Cali.
Burned out or running from taxes.

Reactions: jkuro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol, right? I love my camero. Just didnt realize how difficullt it would be to restore it and how stupid I can be with things like tires for petes sake. lol Thank you all for your help. I am sure I will be asking for more advice in the near future.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I had a 77Z until 85 when my Dad wanted it. Similar to the 79 without the rubber bumpers. I had put the original Z wheels on my Dad's 67 and went with I think 15" x 7" torque thrust on the 77. If you got 8" that could be tough but maybe a 235 tire may just work. 10 mm is not much but may be enough to fix the issue. Is it rubbing on both sides? Alignment could also be an issue. Positive camber pushes out the top of the tire. May be worth a try.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts