Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is cole and i just joined this site. And I just bought a 79 Z28 with no engine or transmission. But I also have a 73 camaro with a 350 in it and I am going to put that engine in my 79. Anyway I'll get to the question which has nothing to do with any of this I just thought I'd give you some backround info on me. What gears would a 79 Z28 posi rearend have in it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Typically you would see a ratio of 3:42 in either a posi or non posi configuration.

You may get lucky and find the build sheet under the passengers or drivers seat. Van Nuys cars were also known to place them under the rear seat. Most Norwood built Camaros build sheets could also be found in the same areas. If you find the build sheet RPO code G80 is a posi rear end.

Good luck!

Joe
(alias QuikZ)

·
Registered
88 Posts
To check your rear end gearing, rotate a wheel one full turn and count how many times the drive shaft/yoke turns. i.e. if the shaft turns about 3 3/4 turns to the wheel's one rotation you have a 3.73 ratio. Also I believe if you have a posi and both wheels are off the ground and you turn one the other should turn in the same direction, if they turn in oposite directions it's an open differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts