Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 350 4 speed i bought bare bones. I was told the rear axle in the car was incorrect. Not a problem, I have a complete (bolt-in ready) 8.5" 10 bolt from a 71 Nova. 2 Issues here: 1. I Removed the old axle housing, rear springs, spring mounts, shackles, etc. I cleaned the springs, installed new bushings and shackles and re-installed the rear springs. By the way, I am using a multi-spring set-up. I don't know how to line up the new axle housing to the springs(The perches are there and have never been removed). Should I use the original wheelbase figures? Or are there some points of measure under the car that I can use? 2. How do I know what my driveshaft length should be? Seems a bit tight under there right now without knowing where everything bolts up? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
just line the guide pin on the springs up with the perches on the housing and tighten down the u bolts.
as for the driveshaft, you have to get the car fully loaded and sitting on the ground, and measure it that way.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
When you get the rear end bolted down you need to put jack stands under the rear end to support the car. Slip the drive shaft in without installing the straps on the u joint. With the u joint sitting in the rear yoke you should be able to push the drive shaft forward 3/4 to 1 inch into the transmission.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
ummm... just to let you know. 1st gen. camaro's didn't come with the 8.5 rearend. If it was a 10 bolt, it was an 8.2. Why do you think the 8.2 is not correct for your car ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't mean that an 8.2 was not correct for the car. I meant that the one that was actually sold with the car was not original to the car and was just bolted in to be able to move the car(not something I actually want to use). Thanks to the other 2 posts, should be very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.