Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read other post on the subject of 2 series vs. 3 series carriers. I have a 8.5 positrac differential that is geared at approx 2.56 based on axel rotation vs wheel rotation. The post I have seen indicate not to use a spacer unless you have no other option. I can't find " thick " gears for the 8.5 to convert to a 3+ ratio. Do I have other options at a reasonable cost? This is a " cruise in " car. Probably won't put more than 3000 mi/yr.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
The differential has a area machined around it that centers the ring gear on the case. The ring gear spacer moves the ring gear away from this area, causing the ring gear not to be centered. This is one of the reasons not to use a spacer. The spacer just makes for a poor set up. If you can find a 3 series case you can put your internal parts into it, or find a complete 3 series posi. The casting number to look for is 410408N. This number will be on the opposite side from the ring gear and next to the bearing. I know that this picture is huge, but you can see the casting number at the top and the machined area next to the ring gear flange at the bottom.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

1 - 3 of 3 Posts