Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,478 Posts
You'd have to underdrive it a BUNCH. A centrifugal allows more compression due to their efficiency as compared to an 8-71. The gas helps but you probably won't be able to run more than 4-5 lbs. of boost if that much. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Now if you want to run Methanol, now you're cookin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, now that u mention it, what would be the drawbacks of methanol in a street/strip car? its only about 2.75 per gallon and is safer to store than race gas. what about mileage, starting, and drivablilty?

[This message has been edited by jvolk81 (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
It would be pretty tough. it goes thru about three times as much fuel, it runs very cold-I mean cold enough to frost your intake, and you would to probably have to run a belt driven fuel pump to keep the flow matced to the RPM's. That and a whole bunch more fun stuff keeps it unfeasable.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

·
Registered
402 Posts
You'd be better off either dropping down to 8.5:1 compression and running like 10psi of boost, or going with a blow through centrifugal setup(check out vortechs website), 10lbs of boost, and 10:1 compression

-Joe

------------------
79' Z28 4-spd- built 355, TRW 10:1 forged flat tops, WP SportsmanII heads, Crane Energizer 230/230 duration .480"/.480" lift, Edelbrock Victor Jr., Holley 750cfm, Dynomax headers, dual 3" flowmasters :) 3.73 Posi 10-bolt

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know methanol for the street really isnt all that practical but what would i have to do? just lookin at my options...my fuel pump is compatible, ive got an msd ignition, carb would need mods....what else?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know a guy that had a blown on alky chevelle that was street driven sometimes
he had a vanity plate that said EPA WHO.
I'm sure it could be done you would have to be able to supply 30-40 % more fuel.
It's not very friendly on parts either you cant let it sit in your carbs for more than a few days before it starts to jell up
I was buying methanol by the barrel this summer for less than 100.00 a few times it was cheaper than pump gas.I'm sure it can be done but it's probably not worth all the hassles though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There was aguy down here years ago that had a pro street Vega running a big block with Crower injectors on alcohol. It was a sick street ride and easily the fastest street car I've ever been in...BUT...everytime he drove it any distance his brother followed along in his Chevelle with a jug of fuel. Just about every Monday he would have to drain the fuel system and clean it out, or it wouldn't fire up the following time. Everytime you went anywhere in it you looked like you had been crying for an hour when you got there.
It was an awesomely sick ride but not too practical on alky. The guy he sold it to changed it back to gas after about a month of putting up with the hassles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 396 was built of a virgin block and has less than 1200 miles on it....what the max tolerence for bore size to put new pistons in without needing a rebore?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Jvolk81, I can't help but comment here! You can comfortably take a 396 .060... After that you're looking for problems! It sounds like you have a fair amount of money to burn if you're looking to buy a 8-71 and run alky through it! If it were me I think that I would spend the $3,000+ on a Merlin block and build a 540+ CID motor instead! You could achieve the HP that you're looking for at a large cost saving and still reamin streetable. There's several fellows running around here with 540 - 630 cube motor running some pretty impressive 1/4 mile blasts and they don't have to fiddle with em all the time to bring em out. I know it's kinda off the original question but I couldn't resist. Good luck whatever you decide!

Tom

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you knew me, youd realize that if i bought of one those motor id be tempted to put a blower on that and run alky anyway
i have issues. thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts