Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68Z and had a guy put electronic ignition in which is nice. However, I put about 50 miles on the car and noticed a backfire. I pulled each plug and noticed #8 cylinder plug was fouled and corroded. I put a new plug in, it ran like a champ. After 100 miles or so the same plug was fouled and corroded. I noticed # 3 & #7 cylinder plugs were corroded too , but not as bad as #8.

Any idea what may be causing this? I don't think I had this problem when the conventional points/condenser were in there.

please help and thanks!

TR

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
How old is the motor? I know gm designed intakes to pull vaccum off the 8th cylinder, and there usually the first to wear out. Is your car a automatic?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is the distributor cap and rotor new? Check the inside of the cap and the rotor real good. Look for any carbon deposits, especially on the #8 post. If there are any issues, try another cap......Jb

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yes.... what do you mean by corroded and fouled?

What does the plug look like? Oily? Soot coverd? Rusty (iron oxide)?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Auto trans ? check the trans fluid level if it is low the transmission modulator has a torn diaphram and you are sucking in trans fluid right into #8. Next guess is that he loosened off the intake bolts to RE & RE the distributor, gasket is now leaking, oil being sucked in from lifter valley.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Got your PM and just replied.

It definately sounds like you've got a piston ring / bore or head gasket issue. Could also, potentially, be a bad valve guide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts