Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I know this isn't a camaro but you've got the best chevy site around. I have a 229 v-6 in this old bird and flunked the emissions for nitrous oxides. I assume that my cylinders are running too hot. My egr valve is fine but I think my passages may be clogged as its common with this engine. Any good ways to clean them out I tried a wire hanger but didn't work very well, I was considering avaition cable in my drill and boring through the carbon. Anyone have any better options?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had to clean a few out in my time. Between coat hanger sessions let it soak with BG 44K, carb&choke cleaner or some kind of top engine cleaner. GM and Chrysler both have top engine cleaner. Guess Ford does too, but I haven't worked for them to know for sure.

And this works better if the manifold is off, you can work from both ends and check the ports in the heads too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah!, With it off? Well if I had that much confidence in myself I would but I'm gonna trysoaking it with carb cleaner or top end cleaner. Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just to clarify a point, It is oxides of nitrogen, not nitrous oxide. They are two different chemicals, NOX is the first one the combines with Hydrocarbons and sunlight to form Photochemical smog and the other on is NO2 and is used to enhance engine performance when combined with the proper amount of additional fuel and in its Pharmaceutical form by Dentists.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for correcting me with that distinction. I was actually unsure of the chemical difference, except that anything that is a oxegenator is bad in your exhaust.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry to be so anal about it, but a lot of people don't know what the difference is and you are the one that got unloaded on. NOX, if I'm not mistaken, has one atom of Nitrogen and one atom of Oxygen and NO2 has one atom of Nitrogen and two atoms of Oxygen and that Oxygen is what the Performance people are after and that is also why it is sssssoooooo important to get enough fuel included in the mixture or bad things happen inside the engine.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I may have found the problem, my hot air to the carb wasn't being switched off properly the flap on the left hand exhaust manifold wasn't shuting as it should and there was no vacuum to the line that went to the diaphram. I changed out the tvs switch at the thermostat housing. Should this make a difference, I'm not sure whether the flap rests in the open or shut position, anyone know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts