Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 81 z28 from someone in canada and can't help but notice some diffeneces from the 81 z28 that i currently own.
first off, on the doors of the car, the canadian z28 has those chrome&plastic door scuff guards... do you know what i'm talking about? they run from the back of the front fender to the frint of the rear fender. My current american Z28 does not have this.

also, on the fuel door, there is a chevy emblem (on the canadian car) but on the american, there is a Z28 logo.

did i buy a clone Z28, or were the canadian versions different... were those door guards ever an option..... i suspect that this is not actually a z28, but a berlinetta with z28 parts on it or something? does any one know of any differences betwen canadian built and american built... is there any difference?

thanks in advance...

G

·
I would think there wasn't really any difference...Try asking at www.nastyz28.com
its a second gen site and there are alot of guys from canada on there....

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350, Th350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers,flowmaster american thunder exhuast
[/list]
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/xodus921/

·
Registered
234 Posts
See the above site, or specifically, the 1981 camaro page.

The thing you're describing on the door is part of the style trim group. This is optional on any car. The rear emblem can be unscrewed and ran off with in 30 seconds. It sometimes happens and a new Z28 emblem costs $40.

Check your VIN. This car should be a 350 (if it's a Z28). The main difference between a Canadian car and a US delivered one is the Canadian model doesn't have an ECM in it. Notice on your 81Z you have a "check engine" light on the dash, while the canadian one doesn't have that. The 81Z also came with the 305 V8 std (350 optional), except in Canada. Canadians could also get a 350 4 speed, which was unavailable in the US (the 350 required the Automatic trans).

Use the above page to decode your VIN and trim tag, in 5 minutes you'll know exactly what you're looking at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.