Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '85 camaro z-28 that i just recently bought to restore and use as a dialy driver.. just recently ive started to have problems with aobut 10-15 minutes after driving it will just cut out... everything. The engine dies, headlights,blinkers,running lights, 4-ways, intirior lgiths,gauges, all shut down. the tach reads what-ever rpms i was running at the time..
the car is
305 carb'd
5 speed manual
when the everything shuts down the only thing that is still running (that i know of) is the clock that is the origanal clock by the shifter. if i try "popping the clutch" to get it started again it locks up the wheels instead of rolling the engine. when it dies i can do nothing to get it started i have to wait 10-15 minutes(give or take) and then it comes on like a flip of a switch.
if you have any information that could possibly be usefull for me please contact me at
[email protected]
and i will keep everyone updated on my progress thank you

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sounds like corroded battery cables to me or loose connection at the battery since you lose everything but a low draw clock! Bet the cables are getting hot when this happens too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will check/replace the cable and inform you of updates... thanks i didnt even think of that, it does make sence tho

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked the cable it is fine. weather got about 10-15 degrees cooler this week here and the car hasnt done the shut down again

·
Registered
19 Posts
just hunch but your ignition switch might be getting condensation inside it, shorting it out. would explain why it won't do it in cooler weather

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i fixed the problem it was a bad positive battery cable, replaced it and it has been running great for a coiuple of weeks... also i can get it to spin the motor by popping the clutch in just about any gear.. works best in either 1st or reverse. thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts