Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my iroc is running but very poorly when u drive it will not shift until high rpms and will begin to do a popping back fire and start to break up if you try to jump on it all it does is falls on its face and back fire i have reset the timing in it and it never moves out of time the exhaust is real rich smells like gas extreamly bad if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Sell it QUICK!

Seriously my 88 IROC is a nightmare. TPI problems, MAF sensor failures, computer bugs. Of course it ran perfect before my son took possession of it. Hmmm, maybe that was the problem. Have you pulled the battery off and reset the computer? Did you disconnect the brown lead before checking the timing?

Needs a pro here, but to me yours actually sounds like maybe a broken valve spring, something I did recently on mine. Timing was perfect but had the symptoms you described. Valve was sticking and popping all over the place.

Could also be a timing gear failure if it's old enough, I think they were nylon in 85 and may have jumped a tooth. Might be too dramatic, hopefully simple.

Oh hey, just re-read your note. Not shifting until high RPM might be a vacuum leak on the feed to the automatic trans. Could be a source of multiple problems.

-shoe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts