Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Thanks Dave! Guys today are afraid to try this because I guess they are treasured motors. My first 69Z had the 8K tach and I knew it was time to replace the points when I couldn't peg the tach beyond 8K. Honestly if it wouldn't make 8K I'd stop in and pick up another set of Blue Streak points and be back in business. Brothers drag Camaro with the 302 was shifting at 9400, I know of another drag racer going higher than that, although I can't imagine why one would.

I one time purchased a 68Z with the 302 and 4.11 gears. The owner had grown tired of the 4 speed and installed a TH400 auto trans. What a dog! The TH400 will upshift at 5800 or so to the next gear regardless of shifter position. The little 302 was just coming into some decent power and then it would upshift. A couple weeks of that and I put the 4 speed back in. It was like night and day. You need to twist the 302 to make it run. And if you've only ever driven one with 3.73 gears in it rather than 4.88 you are really missing out!

I'm sure Paul can provide some good stories as to how high he'd take his.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow Dave :eek: Thats one heckuva a "points test". But I dont doubt it.

I recently finished a 69Z built back stock with the 140 cam, 4.10s. No doubt its a dog down low, will barely get out of its own way from the stop light. Ive only driven it about 10 miles or so, and didnt get on it too hard considering its a fresh engine and its not my car. Think I only ran it up to 5500 or so, and could definitely tell a major difference after 4K.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Think I only ran it up to 5500 or so, and could definitely tell a major difference after 4K.
Actually it starts pulling hard past 3500. Several times last summer I was having some fun...........thank goodness for rev limiters.:thumbsup: The 302 spins so freely that your at 6500 in a blink of an eye.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
He, He!!

I would put a second used spring on my cheap points to get my old junk301 above 7,500 rpm and then only like for a day or so b/c doing so would cause the nylon dizzy cam follower to wear too quick which threw them outta whack fast!!

And my next junk292/301 or whatever is gonna be shifted at 8,000 or a schosh above just for the fun of it, small bolt rods and all!!

Show those "ricer's" what short-stroke SB V-8 power is all about for the fun of it is why!! He, He!!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
satz28-
What type/brand of rev limiter are you using? Mine revs up so fast with the 4.56 rear gear it scares me that I may push it over the edge. I want to enjoy this engine, but not destroy it.
X33D80

I changed to 411's a couple of years ago...I installed a full MSD system, and installed the 6AL box in the glove box to keep the engine bay stock looking.

I've got a 6200 RPM pill installed

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Dave don't you love the sound of the 140 when it's idling? It'll also bleed off a lot of dynamic comp which will make your pistons very happy!

I had the first Z in 80/81, I was just 20 years old. These cars were very cheap then and they were plentiful and just used cars. I paid $4200 for a fathom green 69Z with green interior, 8K tach, console gages, 302, M21, 3.73 gears. I ran the stock distributor and most point sets wouldn't let the car rev to it's potential, it was still making good power when the points would float. Blue Streak made a HD point set, probably still do, that a lot of the older guys suggested I try. They worked great, but the stiffer pressure caused the nylon block to wear on the ramp a little quicker.

I haven't run a stock distributor in years, but if I did I'd look for that point set again.

I was young and foolish, now I'm old and foolish. The car saw the 8K tach buried often. At 20 you're invicible, throw in a scattershield and nothing bad can happen right? I had a couple good friends that would come over late at night and we'd wrench on our cars, when we got hungry I often tossed my keys to one of them and let them drive. Everyone wanted to drive a 302 car and I wanted my buddies to experience it. I always told them hold the pedal to the floor, when the tach sees 8K leave the pedal to the floor and pull the shifter back into second gear. Most were afraid to abuse the car this way, but occasionally one would and the look on their face was priceless. I'm glad I was able to share the experience with my buddies. The little V8 doesn't sound like a V8 when it's twisting that high.

By the way, after each blast through 8K I usually listened closely to make sure I hadn't hurt anything, only one time did I ever hurt that first 302. I had a pushrod and rocker break. But I never hurt the bottom end of the motor, no matter how hard I tried.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
My buddy's good friend use to run E Modified Production 30 yrs. Ago, in a 67 Camaro, Doug Nash 5 sp. With 283 bored to 301 small journal and that thing would zing sing to you 8,500 rpm 2 bolt main block ,the only thing would be it wouldn't last long, but the wheelies would pull through 2 gear…good ol days…Happy Motoring

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I loved it when onna my Buddies was riding shotgun when I had my old junk301 in my car back then and we'd make a beer-run..

I'd leave her in low and just keep winding her out, and out, and out until he would say, when are you gonna shift the sucker??

He, He!!

Hit second and do the same thing, but then I was illegal at speed...

pdq67

1 - 11 of 11 Posts