Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Camaro, V6 2.8L, replaced the radiator and getting ready to replace the thermostat. I has been through 3 radiators! Help! Is the electric fan supposed to run all the time? I need to know? What other suggestions would you have?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Replacing the thermostat is a smart idea. The electric fan is turned on by a thermostatic switch or whenever you turn the A/C on. Are you replacing radiator's with new or used? If used, you may want to have it rodded to ensure all the tubes are clean.

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"

"Jungle" Jim
ASE A&P
Team Chevelle
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Registered
567 Posts
Your electric fan shoould come on FULL time with the A/C and/or only when over the 200 degree mark. You did not say if it was overheating at idle or while running. Remember that 3rd gen cars are bottom breathers and if the lower air deflector is missing or damaged, these cars will NOT cool on the road.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am replacing with a new radiator this time! I broke a bolt off the when trying to change the thermostat so now I'm trying to get it out! Looks like an old break was there in the first place! I love this camaro, I want it fixed so badly.... If by chance it does not fix my overheating problem (the thermostat), what would you do next? And where is the thermostatic switch on the fan? Is there a temperature sensor on this thing somewhere?
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JungleJim:
Replacing the thermostat is a smart idea. The electric fan is turned on by a thermostatic switch or whenever you turn the A/C on. Are you replacing radiator's with new or used? If used, you may want to have it rodded to ensure all the tubes are clean.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 86 camaro with the same problem. I went through 2 radiators and three fans before I found the problem. My fan ran all the time regardless of the A/C being on or off. I took mine to a mechanic as I could not find it out myself. He told me when the A/C is turned on it opens a pressure valve to trigger the fan to run. If the valve sticks the fan will run all the time. I was told the valve is in a hose running to the A/C. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts