Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would love help! 87 iroq w/305 engine. Replaced EGR valve, EGR solenoid, knock sensor, wires, plugs, rotor cap, spark ignitor, TPS (throttle positioning sensor), TSU (temp sending unit). Second smog test gives Fail for NO of 916 ppm (max 772) @15 mph but passes with 628ppm at 25mph. Have run 2 cans seafoam through. Stumped! Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Does the egr valve work, is it the correct one? Could the EGR intake ports be restricted.
MAF's were a real problem child with the TPI, is it working correctly? They tend to report lower airflow than what is correct, and leaning the AF ratio.
Is the ignition timing set correctly?
Is the cat working?
What thermostat is in the car? Cooling fans working correctly/

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The majority of NOx is eliminated by the catalytic converter. If yours is original, 23 years is a lot of time on it.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I've been avoiding the CAT because for some reason the exhaust is welded on. I have 4-barrel carb on this and EGR valve was replaced. Will post back once we attack the CAT.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Or,,,,,,, put a bigger cam in it.:)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
May also be running a little hot, if you can get the coolant temp down a little it will drop the NOx levels. I've gotten a few to sneak through with a cooler t-stat. Cooler combustion chamber temps lower NOx, running the coolant temp a little lower helps this.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
EGR solenoid location?

Hey guys, on the 305 TPI where is the EGR solenoid located? My friends smog shop told us it is bad and needs replacement, but we don't know for sure where the thing is.

-shoe

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
EGR is under the plenum, center of intake.
Ah yes. I remember my first time pulling the plenum off a TPI motor. The good news is after you take it off and put it back on a half dozen times, you get pretty good at it. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oxides of Nitrogen tend to form at higher than normal comustion temps...replacing the t-stat would likely help that as mentioned above...but a good old fashioned carb rebuild could help if you are getting a lean condition at the 15mph test.

I would guess if the car is smooth and driveable as is...a new Cat would likely get you there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts