Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can A 1994 LT1 Camaro motor run on 87 octane?

P.S. Has anyone noticed that the word: Camaro is not recognized by this spell check? Ironic? :noway:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
It will run on 87, make sure your tune up parts are in good shape though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
That is not recommended. With 10.25 compression, the computer will be pulling timing due to knock detection.

I ran my 95LT1 on 89 octane with good results, even though premium was recommended. It will ping on 87 unless you baby it & drive it in cold weather. I would not recommend any performance driving or hot wether driving this way.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Man I had nothing but super in my 97 SS but when the gas got to 4 bucks a gallon It hurt me to put regular but i did it anyways and I have NO Problems .. i still get on it and punch it .. I hear no knocking and I just throw in injector cleaner ever now and then but then again I dont drive it much.. a 97 SS with 66K on the clock = not driven much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It's good to know I can at least, get away with it, if gas prices skyrocket again. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
89 octane is good,you will be safe...but it will run on 87!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blimey chaps. No wonder fuel is so cheap in the States if it's only 87RON. I drove a Jap imported Subaru last year and used Shell V-Power (100RON in Germany, 99RON in the UK) because I was told that the engine was mapped for this type of fuel and it would destroy it to use anything less than 98RON.

I always make it a habit to chuck in this stuff whenever I buy a performance car because I don't know how it's been treated before I get my hands on it. It's a psychological thing for me. I feel that by buying the best drink for my new baby she is going to be happy and not break down on me :D

I also feel more confidence when I do give it some welly or when I'm going to drive a long distance and the motor will be running hot for a long time. It burns cleaner so my impression is that it's blowing out some of the crap.

I do only use it for pleasure so I don't mind spending the extra couple of quid/euro on good petrol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts