Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Looking for some input on upgrading my stock 305 TPI in a 1988 IROC. The car is all original and in beautiful shape. I want to basically keep it as a "stock" car but am looking for some minor performance boosters. Emmissions is not an issue due to a classic registration. Any thoughts on some relatively easy upgrades? Also was looking into installing headers, but seems like these could be a real bear to fit in. Any thought/experiance with this? Thanks for any input!

·
Super Moderator
32,797 Posts
You could install a national brand exhaust system using shorty headers and the next size larger exhaust all the way to the rear bumper, thus eliminating the smog pump & tubing. I would stick with one brand name for easier fit.

A better air cleaner assembly.
Lose the weight, its the cheapest. Do you need A/C? Interior? Exchange Lexan for the door glass and rear window?

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Best thing you could do is stick a 350 in it. Serously - by the time you've paid for all those add on's, you still will not have the power of an L98.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You'll find little love for the 305 around here ;) Although I like them just fine...just like any other engine they do have their place.

CHP magazine did a story on a car just like yours here a couple of years ago...their website should have it there if you don't have the mag yourself. They got really good gains by doing some simple bolt on stuff...a performance tuneup, lower temp thermostat, computer chip, underdrive pulleys, high flow air filter, and the biggest gain was from a high flow cat and cat back exhaust system.
I've read that these engines are pretty unresponsive to gearing changes, due to the lack of upper end breathing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts