Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, names reece, i got a 88 2.8L v6 camaro.. with some bugs :D
The main problem it has is that when i start the car in the morning it will awsome, it will have tons of acceleration and power but only for about a minute or so... than everything begins to die.. acceleration mostly.. and it begins to bog!! :(

what could be causing this!! i thought cars were supposed to run rough when starting cold!! i checked the o2 sensor and it seems to be fine. i disconnected it and the same thing happend the next morning.

any help would be great.

Thanks, Reece

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Could be a clogged catalytic converter. See if it is red hot and/or see if the exhaust pressure out the tail pipe is normal. It should cause pressure on your hand if you try to block the pipe end.

Kev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i looked to see if it was the cat.. but apparently i dont even have one.. i just dont get why it would run really good on start up..and have lots of accerlation but then in a few minutes will run poorly and loose acceleration etc. ill try fuel filter though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
sometimes the silt (very fine particles) in a fuel filter will rest at the bottom of the filter upon a cold soak...(when the car is parked for several hours)when you run the car, fuel is forced past the silt, stiring it up enough to plug up the clear pleats in the fuel filter, causing a restriction to get worse...also could be that the car runs like crap when it goes into closed loop...(i always get closed and open confused)if there`s a bad sensor, the computer might not be using it in open loop, when the car`s warming up, and then when it goes into closed loop and uses the sensor, it gets bad info, and leans out the car, or retards timing or something...does it gradually get worse or all of a sudden???

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Try a tune up as well. Plug wires could be arcing with eachother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the car will gradually get worse. when its cold, it will start up no problem. first turn of the key. but when warmed it will take longer to start. when i start it cold it will be running really good for about a minute and a half or so, then it will run as if id been driving it for a while( which would mean it would be running like garbage). i talked to my shop teacher and he mentioned my temp sensor computer might not be working correctly and it could be changing the inputs making it run lean/rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts